Generally responsible for supervision and technical direction over a team of engineers and process engineering designers when functioning as a lead engineer. As lead engineer, responsibilities include total delivery of the process engineering deliverables and services on time, within budget and meeting quality expectations. Duties may include performing advanced engineering work serving as a technical specialist for complex engineering assignments. Work at this level requires extensive progressive experience in chemical/biochemical/petroleum and process engineering and involves utilization of project controls for cost, schedule and quality of projects. This work will be performed under minimal supervision.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
Primary responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Promoting the culture of working safely and applying safety related concepts into process design.
• Reviewing and approving all process engineering deliverables.
• Validating professional service estimates at the beginning of a project, then tracking changes as projects progress.
• Producing professional service estimates in accordance with the Hargrove standards for project deliverables, project studies and estimates, project change notices and for the development of new work through proposal efforts.
• Establishing the design criteria for projects while incorporating client requirements and applying
applicable state, local and federal standards and codes. Ensuring that any requirements for
permitting have been established and communicated to the project team.
• Supports efforts to develop process engineering standards, specifications, guidelines, and
• Understanding and familiarity with project scope and deliverables. Initiating timely project change
notices when deviations are made from your scope that affect schedule, deliverables or cost of the
• Planning and organizing the work of the project team for large capital projects and multiple
medium/small capital projects. Capable of clearly communicating the plan to the team, the project
leadership team, and the client.
• Maintaining control of a large capital project or multiple medium/small capital projects by tracking
and maintaining performance budget progress, schedule commitments, and quality standards.
Understanding and utilizing the project tools in place for project control.
• Delegating work to engineers and designers in proportion to their technical skills and experience,
then following up for support to ensure efficient progress and quality.
• Consulting with design leaders from other disciplines to ensure inter-disciplinary alignment on
• Producing estimate level preliminary designs suitable for the level of estimate being performed on a
major capital project.
Developing conceptual layouts and cost studies as necessary to determine the most ideal and
efficient approach to solving engineering tasks at hand.
• Familiarity with and utilizing industry and department standards, procedures, and guidelines.
• Producing detail design calculations and drawings for the project. Calculations produced will be
neatly prepared and organized for efficient checking by others. Efficient use of drafters/designers in
the development of drawings.
• Producing project designs that are optimal and efficient with an overall emphasis on ease of
construction, operability, and maintenance. The completed design should meet the specifications and
expectations of the client.
• Checking calculations, reports, and studies made by other engineers to ensure accuracy, as well as
conformance to codes, specifications, design criteria and good engineering practices.
• Producing equipment and construction specifications.
• Monitoring drawings in progress to ensure conformance to design calculations and specifications.
• Assisting the designers in resolving routine layout and detailing problems for a major capital project.
Ensuring that sufficient information and details are provided for completion of engineering drawings.
• Reviewing and checking vendor information and other discipline information needs for process
• Develop bid packages for procurement of equipment, materials or services on major capital
• Participating in the planning of training programs, continuous education opportunities and
professional development of staff, including continuous improvement based on lessons learned.
• Participate in professional society meetings to make new business contacts and keep current with new developments in the industry.
• Participate in sales activities including pre-bid meetings, client presentations, scope review meetings, and proposal development.
• Travel as required for client presentations and project related tasks.
• Actively participates in the mentoring of less experienced process engineers.
• Responsible for reviewing resumes, conducting interviews, and completing interview evaluations for process engineering candidates.
• Responsible for providing feedback for Teammates and conducting performance reviews for process engineers.
• Ability to identify and develop work sharing packages for interoffice execution support. Provide leadership to ensure communication and execution of work within scope, schedule and budget.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
•Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Chemical Engineering from an accredited university is required.
•Professional Engineering registration or CPIP certification is highly preferred or may be required.
•Position requires a 15 or more years of relevant industrial experience in chemical, petroleum, or biochemical process design engineering.
•Ability to train others in process safety as well as site safety requirements.
•Knowledgeable in many aspects of process safety and how to incorporate these aspects into process design.
•Familiarity with specifications and installation details of equipment, instrumentation, and piping.
•Ability to create accurate process engineering documents from the information provided in vendor equipment data and drawings.
•Ability to accurately estimate completion of assigned tasks.
•Ability to assist in the development of a detailed engineering schedule and a man-hour budget for the process engineering portion of major capital projects.
•Experienced in estimating and scheduling professional service hours and assessing the progress and quality of process engineering work.
•Develop design criteria and scope of work for major capital projects.
•Complete understanding of the skills and experience required to perform process engineering and design functions.
•Knowledge and application of company engineering design and CAD drafting standards.
•Knowledge of CAD software such as AutoCAD or Microstation.
•Ability to lead a team on a major capital project to deliver on their commitments.
•Ability to deliver convincing presentations of Hargrove Engineers + Constructors services to existing and new clients.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
• Knowledgeable in the use of hydraulic simulation software such as AFT Fathom, AFT Arrow, PIPEPHASE, PIPE-FLO, and/or SiNet.
• Knowledgeable in the use of process simulation software such as Aspen Plus, Aspen Plus Dynamics, PRO/II, DYNSIM, HYSYS, CHEMCAD, WinGEMS, ProMax, etc.
• Very good communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Willing to travel as required for pre-bid meetings, client presentations and project site meetings.
Ability to sit, stand or walk for long periods of time.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Hargrove Engineers + Constructors - 10 months ago
Since 1995, Hargrove Engineers + Constructors has served the needs of industry through its dedication to the client’s best interests....