The Director of Health Services serves as chief administrator, team leader and, as needed, crisis clinician, for Health Services. The Director is accountable for ensuring high quality, cost effective health care and health education for students of Calvin College. The Director serves as the clinical expert in the nursing staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Serve as chief administrator for clinical services. Provides a range of clinical services for students by expanding services to students as needed and utilizing healthcare providers with appropriate hours and services to meet student requirements for available and effective health care. Ensure advanced healthcare services by utilizing assessment, diagnostic and treatment options within a defined scope of practice to deliver high-quality, cost effective health care to the student population.
2. Manage the health travel program by providing health services for the extracurricular programs of the college. Manage the health travel program for students and staff who travel abroad and coordinating physical exams for athletes to ensure the health and safety of program participants.
3. Manage the human resources of the department by recruiting, selecting, training, empowering and evaluating staff members to establish and maintain an effective staff team and a positive work environment. Manage the department budget.
4. Develop efficient and effective staffing patterns to maximize personnel utilization by evaluating individual strengths and weaknesses and utilizing staffing in a way that builds competence to maximize individual and teamwork methods and habits.
5. Ensure compliance with medical and legal requirements as established by regulatory bodies by maintaining knowledge of healthcare standards, complying with established guidelines, participating in ongoing training and evaluating new products to ensure adherence to recognized standards and ensure the best possible patient care and pharmacy dispensary.
6. Develop clinical protocols which define the scope and practice of nurse practitioner and RN staff by utilizing current written standards of regulatory nursing organizations as well as revising currently available college health tools to set clear standards for the scope of practice of nursing care within the college health setting
7. Assist in policy development and strategic planning.
8. Promote partnerships within the college community, academic groups and medical organizations by developing liaisons with the Student Life Division, the nursing program and student groups; representing Calvin College within the community; and maintaining membership in appropriate health organizations to stay current with student and faculty health issues and promote the mission of Calvin College.
9. Promote student health education on campus by utilizing internal and external campus resources and marketing tools to educate students, promoting healthy lifestyle choices and foster independent living.
Michigan Council of Nurse Practitioners - 3 years ago