Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Apply for this exciting position to support the CG missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
For over two centuries the The U.S. Coast Guard has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
The vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures for status applicants in the local commuting area under announcement 13-1424-SE-DB-M. APPLICANTS WISHING TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH DELEGATED EXAMINING AND MERIT PROMOTION PROCEDURES MUST APPLY TO BOTH VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENTS.
NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DELEGATED EXAMINING VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
This position is located in DHS/U.S. Coast Guard, Special Missions Training Center (SMTC), FORECOM in Camp Lejeune, NC.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- This position requires a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI).
- This position requires travel.
Special Missions Training Center (SMTC) develops and delivers training and training material to improve performance, ensure safety, promote proficiency, and enforce standardization for the tactical communities we serve.
This position will be responsible for planning, designing, developing, reviewing and implementing Coast Guard resident, exportable and e-learning training conducted at SMTC.
Being a Coast Guard (CG) civilian makes you a valuable member of the CG team. Typical work assignments include:
* Planning, developing, coordinating, reviewing, and directing development and delivery of resident training and distance learning.
* Analyzing and evaluating training programs and proposal in regards to Coast Guard policy and mission.
* Establishing policy and procedures for the development of resident, exportable and distance learning in accordance with the requirements/goals of the Instructional System Branch.
* Developing specific resident training and distance learning based on instructional systems branch assignments and priorities given by the branch leadership in order to meet resident, exportable, distance learning/performance improvement needs.
* Reviewing and editing curriculum outlines, student notes and all related exams and performance evaluations.
* Making recommendations of ways to present material more effectively by using structured writing techniques, job aids and graphics.
Basic Education: An undergraduate and/or graduate degree with a major in the area of education or a subject area related to a training specialist.
In addition to the BASIC REQUIREMENTS listed above, applicants must also meet the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirements below:
GS-11 Grade level: Applicant must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level (in the Federal sector). Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge skills, and ability to successfully perform the duties of this position and is typically in or related to this line work. Examples of specialized experience include: Experience that demonstrated a practical knowledge of the subject area of the position and of the methods and techniques of instruction. Examples of qualifying specialized experience include:
- Teaching or instructing in an adult education program, secondary school, college, military installation, or industrial establishment in the appropriate field(s).
- Supervising or administering a training program.
- Development or review of training/course materials, aids, devices, etc., and evaluation of training results.
- Work in the occupation or subject-matter field of the position to be filled that required training or instructing others on a regular basis.
2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree, if related
A law degree such as an LL.B. or J.D., if related
A combination of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 level in
or related to the work of this position AND some graduate level education that
provided the specific knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform
the duties of this position and experience. Experience and education
combinations are computed by first determining the total qualifying experience
as a percentage of the experience required for the grade level; then
determining the total of qualifying education as a percentage of the education
required for the grade level; and then adding the two percentages. The total
percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify at that grade level.
This position does have a positive education requirement.
If you are including education on your resume, report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using the on-line assessment to place you in one of three categories. The necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities to perform this job are:
1. Knowledge of an extensive body of rules, procedures, and/or operations in training and education theories, principles, processes and practices of adult education and training.
2. Knowledge of testing techniques to conduct comparative analysis of alternate distance learning programs and conduct pilot programs.
3. Knowledge of software (i.e.; Microsoft Office Suite and Survey Programs) used to develop and evaluate both resident, exportable and distance learning materials.
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories:
1. Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
2. Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
3. Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Your resume and responses to the self-assessment questions are an integral part of the process for determining your qualifications for the position. Therefore, you must support your responses to the self-assessment questions by providing examples of past and present experience in your resume.
Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they are qualified. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. For information on veterans' preference, click here.
To preview questions please click here .
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to www.dhs.gov/careers and select "benefits."
Please be aware that applicants will be required to complete questions contained on the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) at the time a tentative job offer is made. If selected, at the time of appointment, selectees will be required to update the OF-306. Certain responses on the form could pose a problem with suitability for employment determinations e.g., an affirmative answer to a conviction of a felony.
If you are selected for this position, you will be subject to a determination of your suitability for Federal employment.
Recruitment incentives may be authorized.
Males born after 12/31/59 and at least 18 years of age must be registered with the Selective Service System. Visit Selective Service Registration
Moving expenses will not be paid.
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
All selectees are subject to an appropriate investigation.
For Veterans' preference eligibility, visit Veterans' Employment Resources
More than 1 selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur within 90 days from the date the certificate was issued.
The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will be considered regardless of political affiliation, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or other non-merit factors.
USCG provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact 703-872-6257. Decisions on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Visit Reasonable Accommodation
usajobs.gov - 12 months ago
Should the Department of Homeland Security (www.dhs.gov) raise the current threat level, it would seemingly increase to a High Condition...