Location: Washington, DC
The World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) has an ambitious strategy to create a world where animal welfare matters and animal cruelty has ended – and we are seeking talented and passionate individuals to join our team and help us reach this goal. WSPA is the world’s largest international animal welfare organization, and continues to grow. Across our 15 international offices, we are developing programs and launching campaigns that will improve the lives of millions of animals worldwide.
WSPA-USA seeks a Washington D.C.-based Legislative and Public Affairs Specialist to advocate for our issues and policies, engaging with and lobbying a range of stakeholders, including governments, NGOs, legislators, development agencies and other institutions. To advance WSPA’s global strategic policy work and priority campaigns, the Legislative and Public Affairs Specialist works to influence government to implement and enforce appropriate legislation and policies for animals and to encourage influential leaders and groups to advocate for better animal welfare. He/She reports to the Executive Director of WSPA-USA, who is located in New York City.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Lead the development and implementation of lobbying work for key priority campaigns
• Responsible for advancing and accelerating the inclusion of animal welfare objectives in legislation and policy
• Build relationships and networks with key stakeholder targets, including non-governmental organizations, statutory bodies and businesses
• Present WSPA’s position to contacts in government, international institutions, other NGOs and the media
• Provide expert input into internal and external legislative/policy consultation and initiatives
• Draft political/advocacy plans, correspondence, briefings and WSPA’s responses to official consultations and other policy developments
• Advise and lobby on international trade issues
• Responsible for delivery of the Humane and Sustainable Agriculture strategy as it relates to legislation
• Responsible for delivery of the Disaster Management strategy in the USA
• Raise awareness of the importance and relevance of animal welfare in disasters with USAID, humanitarian organizations and other key stakeholders
• Produce budgetary proposals, implementation plans and project reports
• Provide materials for external communications
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
• College Degree
• Minimum 5 years public affairs, government relations or advocacy work experience.
• Able to build and maintain collaborative relationships
• Strong understanding of Civil Society, IO and IGO institutions
• Excellent communication skills – written, oral and presentation
• Ability to work autonomously and with teams
• Demonstrated ability to strategize, organize and articulate the mission and vision of an organization
• Excellent interpersonal and diplomacy skills; the ability to interact effectively with people of diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
• Ability to negotiate
• Competent at computing and web based skills relevant to the job
For more than 30 years, WSPA has brought relief and protection to millions of animals across the world. Today, working in more than 50 countries, WSPA continues to collaborate with local communities, NGOs and governments to change animals’ lives for the better. WSPA also acts for animals at a global level, using the organization’s United Nations consultative status to give animals a voice. If you have the qualifications for this particular role, and share WSPA’s passion for animal welfare, please let us know of your interest by applying.
WSPA offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, retirement, and generous vacation and holiday leave. Salary is commensurate with candidate’s experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter including salary requirements and resume to email@example.com. The job reference code WSPA-LPAS must be in the subject line. Applications submitted without salary requirements may not be considered. Position will remain open until filled.
WSPA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.