About the Job As a Director of Engineering Services at Opower you will be a part of a talented engineering team that provides critical services to the development teams, including end-to-end QA testing, performance and security testing, program and project management. You will work in a fast-paced engineering environment where Agile development methodologies are used to successfully deliver software that is used by millions of customers on a monthly basis.
We are seeking a sharp, driven, talented Director of Engineering Services who enjoys delivering valuable products that make a difference in people's lives. This is an ideal job for a someone with a strong technical aptitude and a track record of driving projects to successful completion who wants to be part of a rapidly growing company.
- Technical vision -- provide excellent technical leadership, and proven deep understanding of software testing, inspiring your team to build cutting-edge solutions and proactively bringing new ideas, technologies, and methodologies to the table. Status quo is not your thing.
- Evaluate technologies -- work closely with our architects and development leads to evaluate new testing technologies and infrastructure investments, always looking three moves ahead to make both near-term and long-term optimal choices.
- Synthesize priorities -- work collaboratively with leads from Product Management, Operations, Sales and Marketing to internalize business needs and drive priorities for the team to ensure the highest quality products.
- Scheduling -- prioritize projects, set achievable, motivating, stretch goals, and manage the team to hitting the deadlines. Providing transparency into the state of development and tracking appropriate metrics to show that engineering is delivering on its commitments.
- Hiring -- find, recruit, hire and retain the very best engineers.
- Engineering leader -- you are a leading voice for quality, security and process within the organization, and provide strong engineering representation for the company.
You function well in a fast-paced environment where constant change is the norm and the bar for quality is set high.
- You have 10+ years leading engineering teams at software development companies (not in IT departments).
- You have strong experience working with Agile development teams.
- You have experience working with our technology stack (java, web, relational db, hadoop) in SaaS environments.
- You have tested software at large scale and have strong understanding of security.
- You have strong management experience leading a team of talented engineers.
- You have worked at a startup and / or significant growth environment before.
- You are effective at balancing the needs of a dynamic product roadmap, and managing a set of distinct teams with differing directives.
- You have a passion for technology and expertise that will allow you to drive decisions in software architecture, infrastructure support, security and scalability. (Open Source technologies are preferred.)
- You are a doer and a leader who can shift from one role to another as your team grows.
Opower combines a cloud-based platform, big data, and behavioral science to help utilities around the world reduce energy consumption and...