Hours: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, M-F (must be able to occasionally work outside of regular hours, during busy times of the year).
The Research and Communication Specialist provides expertise in writing, editing, research, communications, and data-management to support the missions of The Teaching Center and the Center for Integrative Research on Cognition, Learning, and Education (CIRCLE). One major responsibility of this position is the analysis and synthesis of findings from current research on teaching and learning. The mission of The Washington University Teaching Center is to advance teaching and learning by integrating effective pedagogy, the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, and classroom design and support. The mission of CIRCLE is to improve teaching at Washington University, and in higher education more broadly, by conducting research that brings together faculty teaching in the disciplines and researchers in cognitive science.
Developing Teaching Center and CIRCLE materials and publications.
- Working with the Academic Services staff in The Teaching Center and the co-Directors of CIRCLE to write and edit a wide-range of materials, including online articles, program descriptions, and other content on the Center’s respective Web sites, as well research-based scholarly publications, and electronic and printed advertising materials.
- Working with colleagues in The Teaching Center and CIRCLE to prepare external grant proposals and reports.
Conducting literature reviews investigating and summarizing recent research on teaching and learning.
- Analyzing and synthesizing findings from recent research on teaching and learning; communicating these findings to diverse academic audiences.
- Locating, selecting, and summarizing current literature on teaching and learning that is integral to the development of Teaching Center and CIRCLE materials, external grant proposals, and peer-reviewed publications.
Working with the Academic Services staff of the Teaching Center and the staff of CIRCLE to develop and improve processes for organizing, analyzing, and maintaining data related to projects and programs.
- Maintaining, organizing, and analyzing data associated with participation in CIRCLE and Teaching Center programs and studies.
- Using and developing databases, including Zotero and the CIRCLE database, to organize data and references essential to the development and documentation of our programs and research collaborations.
Working with senior management of The Teaching Center and CIRCLE to design and disseminate communications about our projects and programs.
- Developing and maintaining event notices on The Teaching Center and CIRCLE Web sites, and in printed flyers and posters.
- Acting as a liaison to faculty for Teaching Center and CIRCLE events to communicate with Washington University faculty about upcoming events.
- Maintaining registration lists for faculty events at The Teaching Center and CIRCLE and collaborating with Teaching Center and CIRCLE staff on other logistics related to events.
Other duties as assigned
- Master's degree and at least two years of experience working in higher education - in a teaching or research capacity.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills.
- Excellent critical-thinking and analytical skills
- The ability to synthesize educational-research findings and to communicate these findings to diverse academic audiences.
- The ability to work independently and in collaboration with other Teaching Center and CIRCLE staff, as well as with campus partners.
- Excellent project-management, time-management, and organizational skills.
$3,053.42 - $3,893.50 per month
-Retirement Savings Plan
-22 vacation days
-8 Paid Holidays
-Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
-Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
-Free Life Insurance
-Health, Dental, Vision
-Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
-Long Term Disability Insurance
-Flex Spending Plan
Human Resources website (hr.wustl.edu)
Washington University in St. Louis is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Washington University in St. Louis - 16 months ago
Employer of Choice in the St. Louis area!
Washington University School of Medicine is an employer of choice in the St. Louis area. The...