TELEDYNE RD INSTRUMENTS, INC., originally founded as RD Instruments, (RDI) developed the industry’s first Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler (ADCP), a revolutionary device capable of measuring the speed and direction of underwater currents at up to 128 individual points throughout the water column. Through the years, the company has expanded its core technology to create a wide array of current profiling, wave measurement, and navigation products for environments ranging from shallow water estuaries to full ocean depth applications.
With over 20,000 Doppler products delivered worldwide; employing over 175 multi-disciplined scientist, engineers, technicians, sales and support personnel; and residing in an 80,000 square foot ISO-9001:2000 facility that includes state of the art engineering, laboratory, manufacturing and test areas, Teledyne RDI remains a clear leader in its field.
For more information, please visit our website at www.rdinstruments.com
The Embedded Software Engineer will have a prominent role in the design and development of new Linux-based embedded software products for underwater applications. The central challenge in this position is the design and development of feature-rich embedded software under the constraints of high quality, high reliability, high performance, low power and unattended operation. The Embedded Software Engineer will be involved with developing new products and new technologies that make a difference in a number of fields including subsurface navigation, ocean current monitoring, coastal wave measurement, river flow monitoring, and more. This is a temporary/contract position will last approximately 2 months.
• Design and development of embedded software in C and C++ for new and existing products.
• Serve as senior team member on large projects. Serve as lead or sole team member on small projects as required.
• Serve as technical reviewer on new and existing designs.
• Provide advanced application support to sales, marketing, and customer service personnel as needed.
• Possess an awareness of new and advanced technologies and their applicability to Teledyne products.
• Propose concepts and improvements for new and existing designs and techniques.
• Serve as a mentor to junior engineers.
• BS in Engineering or Physical Science or equivalent.
• 8+ years of experience in embedded software design and development in C with significant and recent use of C++.
• 4+ years of recent experience developing for embedded Linux including kernel/device driver development as well as embedded application development with knowledge of POSIX APIs and their Linux variations.
• Thorough knowledge of embedded development from low-level board, processor, and device interfaces through higher-level data structures, algorithms, design patterns and architecture is required for this position.
• Knowledge of best practices in modern C++ design including STL with exposure to Boost and C++11.
• Knowledge of and experience with software engineering best practices including version control, unit tests, code reviews, etc. is required for this position.
• Strong analytical and applied math skills are required. An engineer with a background in the physical sciences is ideal in this position.
• Ability to read and understand schematics as well as the ability to use various test equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and JTAG debuggers is required.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills are required.
• Knowledge of signal processing and DSP algorithms, especially as it relates to sonar or radar is a strong plus.
• Knowledge of TCP/IP (i.e. HTTP, DHCP, DNS, etc.) is a plus.
• Experience with ARM processors is a plus.
• Must be a US person (US citizen or permanent resident).
Teledyne RD Instruments, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V/AA. Local candidates are highly desired for this position. Please contact HR at 858-842-2600 if you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for this position.