The InstrumentTechnician will be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to coordinate and collaborate in the overall cleaning, disinfection, assembly and sterile processing of instruments needed for daily surgical and invasive procedures. He/she is knowledgeable regarding instrumentation handling, care, cleaning, assembly and sterilization. The instrument technician also collaborates and coordinates code cart re-stocking and cleaning, SCD machine, IV pump, epidural and PCA pump pick-up, delivery, cleaning and disinfection. The instrument technician performs delegated duties consistent with his/her scope of practice and functions within the philosophy and overall plan for SRMC. The instrument technician displays positive support for the values and mission of SRMC. Call and weekends are required for position.
Position Requirements:A. Licensure/Certification/Registration:
CSPT certification within 6 months of hire
Ability to read, speak, write and understand the English language, including an understanding of medical terminology
C. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1) Ability to operate the washer decontaminator, Ultrasonic washer, heat sealer, nitrogen tank and air hose.
2) Knowledge of medical terminology and the ability to accurately follow surgery and hospital instrument check sheets and order requests
3) Ability to promptly and correctly respond to Hospital departments and the operating room requests for instrumentation and supplies
4) Knowledge of surgical instruments and equipment and ability to assess working order
5) Knowledge of the principles of sterilization
6) Ability to collaborate with CS and the operating room to insure instruments and supplies are sterilized, in proper working order and appropriately stored
7) Ability to stand or walk constantly and lift heavy instrument trays
8) Good manual dexterity
9) The SPD tech I must be able to be a resource person to the nursing staff regarding the availability of instruments and supplies related to age specific needs of the patient