Under supervision performs various materials testing, project inspection, and surveying duties to provide a safe, high quality, and efficient transportation system.
- Performs tests in laboratory on soil composition, surfacing material aggregates, oil and water content, embankment compaction, plant mix density, and other factors as required.
- Performs basic engineering calculations.
- Determines compliance with specifications.
- Gathers samples.
- Under supervision receives, logs, and prepares material samples for testing.
- Assists in construction surveys.
- Maintains project records.
- Checks contractor payrolls for compliance.
- Inspects highway construction on an on-going basis to assure compliance with contract and with state and federal standards, inspections and examinations are made of materials, surface condition, proper tracking, structural features, and other relevant factors.
- Weighs heavy earth moving equipment to determine amount of construction materials being used.
- Set up and operation of basic construction surveying equipment.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of computers and calculators.
- Knowledge of surveying software, hardware, and firmware including Leica Geomatics Office (LGO) and Trimble Geomatics Office (TGO) software, spreadsheet applications, ASCII text files, MicroStation CADD files, and Geopak Survey software. WYDOT's Survey Manual and the Electronic Collection and Transfer of Survey Data manual.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Work outdoors and a variety of weather conditions.
- Lift loads up to fifty pounds.
Preference will be given to those with 1 year of progressive work experience (typically in Construction and Field Surveying).
*Please view the Class Specifications (Class Code TNCF03) and the State required Minimum Qualifications for this vacancy at:
WYDOT offers a competitive benefits package including: Medical, Dental and Life Insurance, paid vacations and sick leave, paid holidays, Tuition Refund Program, State Retirement and Deferred Compensation Program, Longevity pay and opportunities for advancement.