*This position will be located in the Syracuse, NY office, supporting the Claims Associates and Claims Managers of the PIP/Medical Standard Department.
*Ideal candidate will posses claims leadership experience and strong technical knowledge.
*A minimum of 3-5 years of claims leadership and 5-7 years of total claims experience preferred.
JOB SUMMARY: Assist the Claims Director in large states to communicate and drive claims performance. May handle one or a combination of the following lines of business within a geographic territory: property damage/Blue Ribbon, material damage, casualty/bodily injury, excess/surplus, farm/agribusiness. Assist in driving compliance issues. Assists in managing balance between ALAE, loss cost and customer satisfaction.
RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Reports to the Claims Director.
1. Responsible for assisting with managing the claims processes consistently within a line of business and geographic location. Coordinates efforts with other claims functions such as QA, medical, claims legal, subrogation, SIU, service centers, claims technical and claims staff support.
2. Developmental duties as needed in order to acquire technical management expertise.
3. Manages the responses to complaints; communicates complaint trends and creates action plans to solve claims adjusting problems. Provides input to Best Practices process for long-term solution to problems. Ensures customer satisfaction.
4. Partner with industry leaders to help promote industry and legislative changes that benefit our stakeholders
5. Delivers a positive On-Your-Side customer service experience to all internal, external, current and prospective Nationwide customers.
6. Resolves customer complaints according to Best Practices. Monitors customer satisfaction in an effort to drive action plans for improvement.
7. Identifies, develops and retains high potential/high performing associates who have the potential for or are ready to fill critical roles in the organization.
8. Responsible for the management of associates including performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow planning, hiring and placement, and disciplinary actions.
9. Other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate degree or post-graduate studies preferred.
Licenses/Designations: State licensing where required. Successful completion of required/applicable claims certification training/classes.
Experience: Nine years experience in a claims operation including at least two years in claims management.
Knowledge: Requires a strong knowledge of at least one line of business ( property damage/Blue Ribbon, material damage, casualty/bodily injury, excess/surplus, farm/agribusiness), technical claims operations, procedures and claims performance strategies, day-to-day claims operations, as well as Claims Best Practices. Prefer familiarity with other specialties.
Skills/Competencies: Excellent customer focus to proactively identify and understand customer needs. Oral and written communication skills for frequent contact with claims representatives, claimants, policyholders, claims field management. Demonstrated decision-making skills, including the ability to recognize, analyze and improve claims performance situations such as loss control, LAE, customer satisfaction, employee development and engagement. Ability to supervise and train claims representative in all aspects of claims processes. Effective listening, oral and written communication skills necessary for customer contact, negotiation, presentations, project management, and personnel management. Ability to make decisions, establish priorities, and set strategic directions. .Ability to organize and deal with a variety of situations, discern problems and recommend/implement resolutions. Proven ability to operate personal computer with proficient use of claims and business software.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions to the above Minimum Job Requirements must be approved by: Business Unit Executive and Human Resources.
Working Conditions: Office or Field claims office environment. Some travel may be required. Some positions may require ability to operate an automobile and have a valid driver's license with a safe driving record. Must be able to operate an automobile and have a valid driver's license with a safe driving record. Must be able to make physical inspection of accident scenes and property and/or property loss sites. Must be able to climb ladders, balance at various heights, stoop, and bend and/or crawl to inspect vehicles and/or structures. Must be able to work out-of-doors in all types of weather. Must be willing to work irregular hours and to travel with possible overnight requirements. Must be available to work catastrophes (CAT).
Credit/Background Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities within this job, a valid credit check and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Nationwide is a high-performing organization, and we continue to prove it every day. Our Property and Casualty Division sells a unique mix...