Are you looking for a unique internship opportunity to gain valuable work experience? An internship with the Department of the Air Force offers challenging work, and the satisfaction of knowing you've made a difference. We're offering you an exciting opportunity to gain "real world" experience as an Intern in the Pathways Program.
This is a Pathways Student Internship opportunity managed by the Force Renewal Program and centrally funded by the Air Force's Central Salary Account (CSA). The Internship offers valuable work experience directly related to your academic field of study. This is your opportunity to begin a successful Federal civilian career with the United States Air Force. As an Intern, you will be given the opportunity to gain the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to pursue a successful career with the US Air Force and upon completing your degree and meeting conversion eligibility requirements, be eligible for placement in a permanent position. However, it is important to remember that eligibility for conversion does not guarantee you will be offered a permanent position. The length of Internship is normally two years or when you complete your academic program and degree requirements.
on initial appointment or conversion, entry
grade May be at the GS-4 thru GS-9 grade level depending on level of education,
mission, location and or career field requirements.
RELOCATION EXPENSES ARE NOT COVERED.
Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Must meet suitability for Federal employment
Be at least 16 years of age
Enrolled at least half-time at a qualifying accredited institution
Must sign a Participant Agreement
Back to top
This internship is to provide a learning opportunity for a student enrolled in a field of study relating to their career path, to enhance their future goals and improve their knowledge with work experience in a working environment.
1. Performs selected tasks and phases of studies and projects that require application of basic theory and principles in th area of physics.
2. Participates with senior personnel in conducting non-routine projects.
3. Provides assistance to senior personnel in planning, monitoring and conducting special studies, projects and initiatives.
4. Prepares correspondence and other documentation.
GS-04: Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSA)
Knowledge of basic theories, principles, and methodology of physics.
Skill in applying basic occupational theory, principles, concepts and practices sufficient to perform student trainee assignments.
RECOMMENDED ARE OF STUDY:
- Ability to follow instructions and guidance to complete assigned task and communicate information to others in oral or written format.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify significant factors, gather and interpret pertinent data and apply established rules and procedures in order to recommend effective solutions.
- Ability to learn and apply basic investigative techniques to accomplish work in the subject-matter field.
- Ability to search technical reports, computer software applications, and other guidelines to obtain information for senior personnel.
Seeking a degree in Physics OR seeking a degree related to physics with 24 semester hours in Physics. Required coursework must include a fundamental course in general physics and, in addition, courses in any two of the following; electricity and manetism, heat, light, mechanics, modern phsics, and sound.
Back to top
Air Force Qualification Standards
To qualify for a GS-04:
Completion of 2 academic years of post high school study or an associate's degree in a related field of study
This position has an education requirement. You
provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
You must be a student currently enrolled in an accredited college or university:
- Accepted for enrollment or are enrolled in an approved program
- Pursing a Baccalaureate Degree (Junior/Senior only), Graduate or Professional Degree
- Enrollment must be at least half-time course load as defined by the education institution (typically six hours or equivalent for undergraduate and three hours or equivalent for graduate)
- Have a good academic standing (no less than 2.95 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 grading scale)
- Meet the qualification standards of the position
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- A U.S. citizen or a national (resident of American Samoa or Swains Island). Non-citizens may be eligible for employment if:
- Permitted by the DoD Appropriation Act
- Eligible to work under U.S. immigration laws
U.S. citizenship is required for a noncompetitive conversion to a permanent or term appointment with the Department of the Air Force.
Applicants must meet requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applications will be evaluated against the Air Force unique qualification standard for student employment. Qualified candidates will be considered in accordance with the
Office of Personnel Management Pathways Guidelines
does apply in the recruitment and hiring procedures of Interns under the Pathways program. Selections made under this notice will be processed as new appointments to the civil service. Incomplete applications that do not include supporting documentation may be eliminated from consideration. Applicants, who disqualify themselves, in the occupational questionnaire, will not be evaluated further. Your application may not receive appropriate consideration without the required supporting documentation. Falsifying your background, education, and/or experience is cause for not hiring you or removal after hiring.
Back to top
Department of the Air Force offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays and a 401K-type retirement plan. For more information, visit:
Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, who are 18 but not yet 26 years old, must be registered with the selective service system (or have an exemption) to be eligible for federal employment.
For additional information or to register, click
The entire period served under the Internship Program counts as the participant's trial period.
Interns may work part-time or full-time schedules.
considered for noncompetitive conversion to a term or permanent appointment within 120 days of completion of degree requirements, if they meet the following:
A U.S. citizen
Successfully complete academic course of study with a GPA of at least 2.95 (GPA 3.1 for certain engineer positions)
Complete a minimum of 640 hours of work experience under the Internship Program
Meet the OPM Qualification requirements for the position the intern may be converted to
Maintain acceptable performance
"It is important to remember that eligibility for conversion does not guarantee the agency will offer conversion."
: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
HOW TO APPLY:
Back to top
: Military service member's "Statement of Service" will be accepted up to 120 days prior to separation date IF a terminal leave form or DD214 cannot be provided. The "Statement of Service" must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate when your terminal leave will begin, your rank, dates of active duty service, the Type of Discharge and Character of Service (i.e. honorable).
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Résumé
2. A complete Occupational Questionnaire
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below)
The complete Application Package
be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of this announcement Wednesday, April 17, 2013
To begin the process, click the
button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the
Submit My Answers
button at the end of the process
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, complete this cover page
using the following 871640
Fax your documents to
If you cannot apply online:
1. Click the following link to view and print the questionnaire
View Occupational Questionnaire
2. Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the occupational questionnaire
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to
. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed (i.e., resume) is received, accurate and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully by clicking
. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan. Faxed documents take 2-3 business days to process.
modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
What documents do I need to submit?
The following documents are
be provided by the closing date of the announcement:
- Current Resume - For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). Resumes that do not contain this information will be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
- Transcripts (unofficial copies acceptable; however, if selected, official transcripts are required).
Proof of enrollment/class registration
Veteran's Preference documentation: DD214, Statement of Service (in lieu of DD 214 if currently active duty), VA letter, SF-15 if claiming 10 point preference, if applicable
Online Application (Questionnaire)
To be considered, you must submit all required supporting documentation mentioned in this vacancy announcement, and all vacancy applications submitted electronically or via fax must be submitted and received by 11:59 pm ET on the closing date of this announcement. You are not required to submit official documents at this time; copies are acceptable.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Civilian Force Renewal Branch
TDD: 800 382 0893
Air Force Civilian Force Renewal
550 C Street West Ste 57
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force...