The Director of Online Education provides leadership for online curricular offerings at Alcorn State University. In addition to the day-to-day management of all aspects of online instruction, the director is responsible for planning, marketing, student and faculty training, and assessment and reporting for the unit, and serves as the liaison with outsourced services providers. The Director of Online Education reports to the Executive Vice President/Provost.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: The Director of Online Education serves as the key leader and advocate of online instructional programs and services both internal and external to the University. The director provides leadership to all academic units in delivery of electronic learning for educational purposes, and supervises instructional technology staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
A. Planning, Direction, and Coordination
B. Coordinating Faculty Support
- Meets regularly with Chairs to develop and/or revise plans for initiatives in online education.
- Meets with CIO and technology support leaders to ensure continuity of technology services.
- Works with faculty to explore and develop new online offerings (graduate, undergraduate, other.)
- Ensures that faculty and students engaged in online learning are appropriately trained in the use of technology resources designated for online instruction.
- Ensures that all aspects of technology are provided for efficient operation of online instruction.
- Establishes administrative practices for tracking students, potential students, and instructors.
- Schedules online course offerings.
- Provides leadership in the recruiting online students and faculty.
- Identifies and applies for external funding to support online education.
C. Student Support
- Provides first line of contact and assistance for online faculty.
- Coordinates and conducts training for online faculty in the development of online instructional materials and online instructional methods, as needed.
- Assists online faculty in obtaining and using instructional technology hardware and software.
- Schedules faculty assigned time and summer employment for the development and implementation of online courses.
- Conducts formative assessments of faculty online teaching abilities, recommending opportunities for improving those abilities.
- Communicates with other university support services to coordinate support for online faculty, students, and potential students in an attempt to make the entire online education experience more user-friendly, effective, and seamless.
- Keeps abreast of new developments and research in online education, and shares this information with faculty as appropriate.
- Facilitates informational needs of students and potential students.
- Provides for technological assistance for students (e.g., 24-hour help desk).
- Responds directly to online students' concerns, and takes appropriate actions based on these concerns.
E. Assessment and Reporting
- Directs the online unit's marketing efforts.
- Prepares program marketing materials, including online marketing materials.
- Identifies critical marketing populations and initiatives.
- Places advertisements for online programs or courses.
- Solicits assistance as needed in the recruitment of online students.
- Corresponds with those interested in learning more about the University's online education efforts.
- Assesses the effectiveness of marketing strategies and initiatives.
- Works with the University's enrollment management team.
- Communicates with the administrators, online faculty, and online students about issues and events concerning the online programs.
- Establishes and oversees a program for the use of research-based evaluative criteria in the assessment of online courses and programs.
- Coordinates assessment of online education.
- Completes required reports for programs in online education.
- Conducts an interview with each online instructor prior to course implementation to review materials and plans for implementation; provides assistances as needed; prepares an evaluation the materials and instructional plans, possibly indicating suggestions for improvement.