Via Christi Health's rich history of serving the people of Kansas and the surrounding region dates back more than 100 years to the healing ministries of our founding congregations. Today, Via Christi Health is the largest provider of health care services in Kansas. We serve Kansas and northeast Oklahoma through our doctors, hospitals, senior villages and health services.
This position is responsible for day to day operations of all functions and services in the access area of assigned responsibility. Specific areas of responsibility may include, but are not limited to: pre-registration, registration, bed placement, insurance authorization and verification, point-of-service collections, outpatient scheduling, charge entry and health unit coordinators. Works collaboratively with other managers, ancillary departments, patient care areas, referring hospitals and physician offices, to ensure all patient access functions provided within assigned area is accurate, complete, and timely.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
Ensures staff awareness and preparedness for internal and external disasters which may have an impact on Via Christi. May be called upon to serve with the Director as the Patient Tracking Officer within the Hospital Emergency Incident Command system (HEICS) during internal/external disasters.
- Responsible for the day to day operations of assigned Patient Access functions (e.g. pre-registration, scheduling, benefit verification, pre-authorization, admissions, emergency department registration, charge entry, HUC duties, and patient placement). May be a part of an on-call schedule with 24-hour accountability for staff in the assigned area of responsibility.
- Responsible for management of Patient Access personnel, all human resource management including hiring, coaching, counseling, disciplining, management of timekeeping and termination of employees, as well as communicating with Director when disciplinary and/or conflict issues arise.
- Set and monitors quality and productivity standards, including performing registration, scheduling and charge entry accuracy audits for employees, and assists with providing additional training for employees who fall below expected accuracy threshold.
- Assists in preparing the budget and is responsible for on-going monitoring activities to ensure department operations meet budget expectations.
- Provides staff continuous feedback regarding their work performance and recognizes staff for exceptional quality of work, customer relations and cost containment efforts, as appropriate.
- Ensures department compliance with The Joint Commission and all other regulatory compliance requirements by monitoring processes.
- May perform other duties as assigned or requested.
- Directly supervises 2-50 employees in area of assigned responsibility.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organizations policies and applicable regulatory agencies.
- Responsibilities include, but not limited to, interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; establishing and monitoring productivity and other quality assessment standards; and, promptly addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's Degree preferred with a minimum of 5 years of progressive supervisory experience within patient access functionalities or a related area with knowledge of Revenue Cycle Operations.
- Job Knowledge in hospital admitting, regulatory requirements, and health insurance.
- Experience in overseeing the allocation of financial resources, managing departmental budget, identifying cost-effective approaches, establishing and assuring use of internal controls to manage processes.
- A personal presence which is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals and values of Via Christi Health System.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment. Be able to make decisions quickly and clearly enunciate the basis on which the decision was made.
- Strong organizational skills to proactively prioritize needs and effectively manage resources.
- Strives to ensure a high level of patient, employee, physician, and visitor satisfaction at all times.
- Core competencies include analytical thinking, interpersonal relation development, diversity awareness, customer focus, drive and dependability, stress tolerance and flexibility, delegating and directing, planning, and team building.’
- Implement and manage objectives to meet organizational goals, ensure compliance with established policies, quality assurance programs, performance improvement and safety policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with the use of PC based programs, such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel spreadsheets is required for analysis, reporting, and presentation.
- Communicates clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, and establishes and maintains working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Potential exposure to all patient elements including communicable diseases and body fluids. Understands differences and adjusts care as related to age and developmental level from pediatric to geriatric ranges. Requires manual and finger dexterity and eye/hand coordination for easy and skillful use of hands when working with patients and equipment. Requires ability to communicate verbally with patients and staff and observe pertinent details. Requires ability to work where activities are characterized by frequent change.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, bodily fluids, outside weather conditions, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Position Scope/Patient Population:
- Responsible for initiating healthcare access activities which may include pre-admission, pre-registration, bed placement, reception, insurance verification, and information services for inpatients and/or outpatients.
- Population served includes newborns through geriatric individuals.
Via Christi Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Via Christi Health System
- 2 years ago - save job