Technology / Information Technology;
Disney Technology Solutions & Services (DTSS) is responsible for technology strategy and management, central engineering, architecture, IT and technical operations for The Walt Disney Company including virtual worlds, flagship Web sites Disney.com, Disney Family.com, ABC.com and ESPN.com. DTSS provides services in both platform engineering and web operations. Platform engineering includes Content Management Systems, UGC Enforcement Platform, E-commerce, Video Distribution Technology, Registration, Advertising Systems and Data Warehouse & Reporting. The DTSS web operations teams focus on Servers & Hosting and Network Connectivity. DTSS teams are located in Seattle, Bristol, N. Hollywood, Glendale, New York, Burbank, and Orlando.
This position is for an experienced systems engineer eager to play a technical leadership role on the Systems Engineering team for the Walt Disney Company. Primary responsibilities include designing, building, and supporting web application systems for a large scale enterprise production environment that hosts a variety of online properties for The Walt Disney Company.
The Staff Systems Engineer is expected to have expert level systems administration skills on a variety of operating both the Linux and Windows server platforms, and must have extensive experience with Apache, IIS, and Tomcat. This position will focus on systems and application stability, security, performance, and capacity management, as well as documentation. The role requires participating in an on-call support.
This position works closely with various business Engineering and Production teams to gather requirements, troubleshoot issues, and provide stellar customer support. The role requires someone who is creative, proactive, constructive, and highly motivated. The Staff SE must be prepared to work and be a thought leader in an extremely collaborative and high energy environment.
This position is part of the Solutions Engineering team, focused on initial product discovery, architecture, design, automation, implementation and operationalization, including:
- Service Strategy, Design and Transition
- Business Engagement and Requirements Gathering
- Architectural Review, Proof of Concept Work, and Onboarding
- Project: Build and Operationalize New Sites/Services/Products
- Develop Service Catalog Items, SLAs and OLAs
- System Level Load Testing, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Tuning
- Create Application Monitors
- Development: Tools and Automation Frameworks
- Infrastructure Ownership and Support
- Documentation: Creation of AIDs, Operational Run books, KBs
- 7 or more years experience with relevant internet technologies & with implementing, administering, & supporting production websites & backend support systems
- Recognized as a subject matter expert on at least one web server & application server technology (e.g. Apache, Tomcat, WebSphere), including setup, configuration, performance monitoring, tuning, clustering, & debugging (e.g. JConsole)
- Understand internet technologies &network protocols, including HTTP, DNS, basic load balancing configurations, security zones, VIPs, etc.
- Perform peer review for new firewall, VIP & SAN requests, interpret & build F5 iRules
- Able to perform & provide in depth analysis on load test runs against a moderately complex system
- Demonstrates exceptional troubleshooting methodology, including the ability to author &instruct new methodologies to the SE team
- Independently resolve moderately to highly complex system & application incidents
- Able to identify & propose system & application fixes for performance bottlenecks
- Able to evaluate new application requirements for capacity &run-time best practices & system and/or infrastructure solutions for technical feasibility against known requirements & standards
- Effective at dealing with change: Able to transition in role or handle a significant modification to workflow or technology with minimal ramp-up time & with very little guidance
- Seeks out new technologies & is able to define & execute on a process to determine fit for the entire operations organization, including fiscal requirements, training for the team, definition of success criteria for adoption & fit with BU challenges
- Able to deliver SE organization wide tech talks on applicable topics
- Proactively proposes technical solutions to systemic BU challenges with multiple contingencies
- Owns the technical direction of the SE team. Works in conjunction with senior staff & SE Management to ensure wide ranging SE technical initiatives are successfully implemented
- Actively sought out by SE & business teams to review solutions/products & provide constructive, concise feedback
- Recognized as an SME on all operating systems, databases, network protocols & web platforms used in the business with expertise in tuning, troubleshooting, zero-defect delivery &matching to requirements
- Able to independently design/build system & infrastructure architecture based on industry &best practices
- Promotes consistent Quality & QC practices for SE team & provides quality feedback &testing plans
- Equivalent to a Software Engineer in coding ability, participating in pre-code code reviews with development staff & contributing on design & implementation details
- Considered & consulted as SME in multiple scripting languages (bash, csh, batch, PS, VBS) &has expertise in one lower level programming languages (Python, Ruby, Java, PHP, C#) & mentors others
- Able to consistently, reliably, & accurately communicate technical status to DTSS &business unit stakeholders including the preparation of properly scoped presentations to executives
- Able to organize & lead a small cross-functional technical working group to solve a team-wide problem, using diverse personalities to accomplish goals
- Able to adjust communication style/content to the audience, including business &DTSS management
- Able to lead functional teams in systems integration & design including writing operational specs, architectural diagrams, test plans & requirements management
- Able to design &deliver training to other staff, scope tasks, technical requirements & timelines independently for large projects, mentor & guide team members to completion of projects
- Skilled at leading at least one project management technique (e.g. waterfall, agile, extreme)
- Able to track key milestones of a project &appropriately evaluate & signal risk areas & able to propose solutions to specific project management problems
- Ph.D. in computer science or related field or equivalent experience in technical operations and software engineering
Job Posting Industries
- Masters of Science degree in computer science or related field or equivalent experience in technical operations and software engineering
This position is with the legal entity Disney Worldwide Services.
iCIMS Social Distribution - 19 months ago