JOB TITLE: Receptionist
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for greeting customers,
providing information, communicating with departments. Note: May
schedule appointments; see Scheduler job description.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Office Manager.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None.
1. Greets customers in polite, prompt, helpful manner. Provides
any necessary instructions/directions. Informs appropriate
department/person of person's arrival.
2. Completes necessary paperwork such as encounter forms, parking
validations. Uses computer system to generate information
necessary for billing.
3. Updates patient information, collects copays, provides any
necessary forms needing completion, obtains signatures as
4. Maintains clean, orderly waiting area including beverage area
and reading materials.
5. Answers phones in pleasant manner and deals with customer needs
6. Supplements office staff as reception tasks permit by assisting
with photocopying, computer input/typing, scheduling laboratory or
radiology work as directed.
The job holder must demonstrate current competencies applicable to
EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one year experience in customer service
setting, preferably six months receptionist experience in health
care setting and experience with office equipment.
REQUIREMENTS: 50 wpm typing skill preferred.
1. Knowledge of reception tasks, clinic policies/procedures,
2. Knowledge of how to use office equipment including phone, computer.
3. Knowledge of customer service concepts and techniques.
1. Skill in using office equipment satisfactorily and handling
3. Skill in customer service principles by creating
a pleasant waiting room atmosphere.
1. Ability to communicate clearly in person and on the phone and
establish/maintain cooperative relationships with patients,
families, physicians, staff and other customers.
2. Ability to organize and prioritize tasks effectively.
3. Ability to read, understand and follow oral written instructions. Can file correctly by alphabetic or numeric systems.
Office setting, well-ventilated and well lighted.
Sitting for 7-8 hours/day. Requires eye-hand coordination, finger
dexterity. Vision must be corrected to 20/20 and hearing must be
in normal range. Must be able to view computer screens for long
periods. Occasional stress related to workload and customers with
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for
meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills,
abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
Murfreesboro Medical Clinic - 16 months ago