Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and /or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently with or without reasonable accommodation.
Hotel Maya, DoubleTree by Hilton is currently searching for a Director of Catering and Convention Services. Hotel Maya is the first distinctive full-service, luxury Long Beach boutique resort hotel, located on the scenic downtown waterfront. A fusion of Latin American beachside beach resort with modern Southern California style, Hotel Maya embodies the romantic, eclectic, and vibrant lifestyle of Long Beach, California. The Hotel Maya has 26,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting space with more than $5 million in banquet revenues. The Director of Catering and Convention Services will be responsible for managing and directing the Catering Sales and Convention Services team to ensure outstanding service to clients, properly managed events, and impeccable delivery of products and services.
- Five to ten years of previous catering sales experience, preferably in an upscale local hotel, managing functions up to five hundred people on a regular basis.
- High school diploma required, college degree preferred.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with co-workers and the public. Ability to deal with internal and external customers and staff, collect accurate information and to resolve conflicts.
- Previous union experience preferred.
- Proven experience working with sales, food and beverage, and culinary teams to execute events.
- Professional level knowledge of food and wine.
- Proven experience managing a team to meet target goals and work in a positive, supportive environment.
- Ability to satisfactorily communicate in English (speak, read, write) with guests, co-workers and management to their understanding.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with attention to detail, speed, accuracy, follow-through, courtesy, cooperativeness and work with a minimum of supervision.
- Must possess intermediate computer skills preferably with prior experience with Opera.
- Develop and implement successful marketing and sales solicitation activities to secure new business from specified market segments as assigned by the Director of Sales including corporate, social and event planners.
- Maintain existing business clientele relationships, ensuring maximum profitability for the hotel and quality service for our guests.
- Responsible for budgeted meeting room rental and catering food revenue in conjunction with meeting room(s). Planning and execution of all meetings, from initial contact to final payment.
- Assist the Director of Sales and/or Director of Food and Beverage in the establishment of annual sales goals, and meet or exceed the annual sales goals, including sales activity production guidelines.
- Adhere to the hotel's sales guideline and book profitable business based on need times, including but not limited to prospecting, telemarketing, outside sales calls, site inspections, and presentations.
- Conduct superior negotiating skills in a professional, business-like manner.
- Lead team to develop professional selling skills through participation in prescribed training programs and mentorship.
- Make weekly presentation at sales meetings on groups booked (tentative and definite) and/or any lost business.
- Consistently meet monthly revenue goals for meeting room rental, catering, audio-visual equipment as well as room revenue goals.
- Creation and effective distribution of client's BEO (Banquet Event Order) and Group Resumes.
- Review group resumes/BEO's and convey all pertinent information to appropriate personnel one-week prior to the group's arrival/event. Facilitate communications between sales and operations by distributing group resumes and BEO's at weekly operations meetings.
- Generate all contracted agreements, proposals, group follow up and other letters of correspondence as needed.
- Maintain complete knowledge of service requirements for each scheduled group function including, but not limited to, menu selections, group name and background, type of function and expected attendance, scheduled hours of service, special requests, order of service and payment arrangements.
- Administrative duties: typing, telephone etiquette, proper written correspondence, sales file maintenance, etc. as required.
Hcareers.com - 20 months ago