Are you an experienced Commercial Lender? Come find out what makes Merchants Bank's lender opportunity unique. Independent, locally based, and providing direct access to decision makers is just the beginning!
Merchants Bank is looking for an experienced and dynamic individual to join our team as the Manager of our Business Banking division.
Responsibilities include achieving group growth and profit objectives, managing a team of Business Banking Officers, and managing a customer base. Duties include achieving growth objectives and calling goals, developing and serving designated markets, managing and training, managing and growing a customer base, credit risk management, credit structuring and approval, and credit review of existing relationships.
Extensive experience in the Chittenden County Vermont market is desired. Must have demonstrated success in managing multiple commercial relationships, managing a team of productive lenders, as well as highly effective selling skills.
Interested in applying? Please read on for a full position description and to complete our online application process.
In order to be considered for employment at Merchants Bank, we need to receive a cover letter and resume from candidates. Our online application system will allow you to upload one document. You may wish to combine your resume and cover letter into one document to upload.
This position is full time in South Burlington, VT.
A. GENERAL SUMMARY :
Responsible for achieving group growth and profit objectives, managing a team of Business Banking Officers (“BBO’s”), and managing a customer base. Duties include achieving growth objectives and calling goals, developing and serving designated markets, managing and training BBOs, managing and growing a customer base, credit risk management, credit structuring and approval, and credit review of existing relationships.
The Business Banking Manager is a member of the Commercial Banking Management team and will work with other managers and Senior Lender to achieve bank objectives, implement initiatives and resolve issues. These duties may include, but are not limited to, administrative tasks including systems issues, product issues, credit policy, marketing, pricing, training, financial reporting and budgeting.
B. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND OBJECTIVES:
1. Attain group’s sales goals and develop Business Banking market segment. Manage the sales team to grow profitable new loans and relationships. Lead the sales process by attending sales calls, structuring proposals and sales training. Generate increased net income to the Bank by growing the group’s interest and fee income. Proactively call on existing and prospective customers to generate loan and deposit growth. Be active in the community to develop market presence. Key measurements will be growth in group’s loan portfolio, new loans booked, and portfolio income. With Senior Lender develop short and moderate term plan to grow group. Plan to include loan goals, deposit goals and resources needed to achieve objectives.
2. Build and maintain a team of skilled BBO’s. Provide training, support and feedback to ensure high functioning group with adequate skill set, experience, and training to achieve bank objectives. Responsible for recruitment, development, discipline, and evaluation of BBOs .
3. Possess strong credit and structuring skills. Approve credit requests up to credit authority limit, and make recommendations to management on credits exceeding that size. Credit Policy should be understood and exceptions to policy should be noted and mitigated. Insure that the team is working within credit policy and is on top of all administrative requests and reporting.
4. Effectively manage group’s loan portfolio to minimize losses, achieve asset quality goals,
and accurately risk rate our assets. Loan relationships should be appropriately rated and non-officer initiated rating downgrades should be rare. Borrowing base and construction lending should be followed closely to ensure compliance. Files should be up to date with the required financial information and history sheets. Annual reviews should be done on schedule. Work on problem loans to reduce loss to the Bank through account collection and risk management and coordinate transfer of accounts to Loan Resolution Officer as appropriate. Charge-offs on initiated credits should be minimized. Immediate reporting on negative credit trends to Credit Department Manager and Senior Lender.
5. Work constructivelywith other members of Commercial Banking and the Bank to provide exceptional customer service to our customers. A key measure will be customer retention and satisfaction.
6. Serve as a member of the Commercial Banking management team. The Business Banking Manager will work with other managers and Senior Lender to achieve objectives, implement bank and division tactical plans, and resolve issues. These duties may include, but are not limited to, administrative tasks including systems issues, product issues, credit policy, risk management, marketing, pricing, resource allocation, training, financial reporting and budgeting. Business Banking Manager should work with appropriate level of autonomy and oversight and collaborate with other managers in Commercial Banking Department and Bank to achieve bank objectives.
7. Understand the Bank’s business model, strategy and plans.
C. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Professional credentials include: four year bachelors degree, ten years of professional experience and strong performance in personnel management, business development, financial management, financial analysis, marketing and customer service.
2. Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to build strong relationships with customers and bank employees.
3. Strong judgment, comprehension, and business acumen required. Ability to balance customer and bank objectives. Ability to independently analyze and assess risk.
4. Strong collaborative problem solving skills needed to develop solutions to business problems and opportunities.
5. Ability to communicate orally and in writing with management, BBO’s, CBO’s, CBA’s, Credit, and other Bank personnel and customers.
6. Strong credit skills. Ability to analyze credit characteristics of a proposal and determine acceptable credits within the Bank’s credit policy and lending guidelines.
7. Strong organizational skills. Ability to manage multiple projects with conflicting deadlines and accurately work under time pressure.
8. Understanding of the Bank’s business model, strengths, weaknesses and risks.
9. Ability to comprehend and practice sound banking procedures and operations in a regulated environment. Effectiveness in blending an assertive sales culture with financial safety and soundness in accordance with MB loan policy and general policy guidelines. Cross-train in all aspects of commercial sales, including products and services.
10. Aptitude and demonstrated proficiency in use of computer technology. Competency in all relevant bank branch hardware and software platforms. Willingness to personally master use of electronic products and services bank offers in the marketplace, including access to online banking and Internet sites.
Merchants Bank VT
- 2 years ago - save job