Northeastern State University invitess applications for the part-time position of Communications Officer for the Department of Public Safety. This position receives emergency and non-emergency calls for services and dispatches appropriate personnel in response.
Anticipated schedule: 15-20 hours per week; some nights and weekends may be required.
NSU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce as an essential part of excellence in faculty and staff at the University. NSU actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply for any opening at NSU .
High school diploma or approved equivalent required.
Previous police dispatch experience preferred but not required. Experience with multi-line phones and multi-tasking is a must. Working computer knowledge is required. Must have OLETS certification or be able to complete OLETS certification within the first 6 months of service.
• Receives requests for assistance or information by telephone and in person; provides and collects information; refers to appropriate personnel; dispatches Police Officers and other appropriate personnel.
• Dispatches officers for a variety of situations, including fire alarms, building alarms, elevator alarms, suspicious activity reports, and stranded motorists.
• Maintains radio contact with Police Officers in the field.
• Maintains log of calls.
• Provides information to Police Officers via two-way radio; processes tag and license checks.
• Contacts external public safety agencies for back-up and assistance as needed.
• Remains informed of weather conditions and forecasts; activates campus emergency broadcast system as appropriate.
• Issues temporary parking permits.
• Receives lost property and contacts owners when possible.
• Performs related duties.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include on the application complete contact information for three references.
Application Deadline Preference
(Application received by this date will receive full consideration.)
Northeastern State University - 17 months ago