This position supervises the work activities of the plant maintenance employees and/or the Boiler Engineers on all shifts who engage in the repair, upkeep, and monitoring of all production processing, packaging, refrigeration, boilers and other support equipment used in the production of cultured dairy products.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides work assignments and direction to maintenance employees engaged in repair and upkeep of all pasteurizing, separating, cooling, filling, mixing, standardizing, packaging, and storing operations of milk and milk based products, so the production process flows smoothly and daily production goals are met.
- Supervises ordering and receiving of all maintenance parts and equipment so that all equipment is kept in operational condition.
- Maintains a PC based preventive maintenance program that includes all major pieces of equipment and plant systems. Creates a stockroom system of key inventory items maintained at the “right” physical levels to support plant needs.
- Continues developing an existing preventive maintenance and facilities work order system that tracks maintenance labor hours and hold mechanics accountable for their performance.
- Reviews and develops department schedules to maximize both preventive and repair services, while minimizing unnecessary overtime expenditures.
- Maintains equipment and facilities in a condition that meet or exceeds Good Manufacturing Practices, Kemps standards and regulatory standards. May be responsible for maintaining packaging standards, pallet configurations and piping/electrical drawings.
- Implements cost-reduction measures to control expenses that impact the operating budget for repair, utility, pretreatment, and maintenance related chemical or supply accounts. May be involved in developing the capital budget.
- Responsible for Storm Water tracking, Pretreatment land spreading and other Environmental and Regulatory reporting as required.
- Leads cost reduction projects, capital projects, and efficiency improvement projects.
- Works with plant operations, Sales Force, R & D and Marketing to assist in launching new products from a facility capability perspective.
- Must understand, comply and enforce all Kemps Environmental, Safety and Health policies and applicable State/Federal Regulations (OSHA, EPA, etc.)
- Understands and fulfills the requirements of SQF 2000 Level 3 code of regulation for food safety and quality. Manages policies, procedures and programs related to operations. Fosters continuous improvement to maintain the SQF 2000 Level 3 certification.
- Keeps the Plant Manager and Plant Supervisors aware of all matters that impact plant performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on manufacturing operations, preferred. Equivalent education and experience will be considered.
- 4+ years of job related work experience in dairy production.
- 2+ years supervisory experience in a production environment.
- Working knowledge of union contracts and the ability to work effectively with the bargaining unit employees.
- Strong working knowledge of all aspects of Ammonia refrigeration, boilers, air, and electrical systems, and PLC applications and design.
- Strong knowledge of required sanitary practices related to food products.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient in basic PC skills, Auto CAD, Excel, Word and other programs as required.
- Ability to identify causes of poor efficiency on production lines, set appropriate priorities within the maintenance department and instill sense of urgency to implement action plan and improve performance.
- Ability to develop maintenance department in both skill level, ability to respond appropriately to the plant production requirements and team concept with the intent to improve overall plant production efficiency, quality and safety.
- Work in a Team based environment, and partner with peers.
- Ability to support, demonstrate, and promote Kemps’ Leadership Effectiveness Factors: Establish Trust and Demonstrate Integrity, Set Clear Direction, Grow Relationships, Focus on Results, Cultivate Capabilities, and Promote Innovation.
Dairy Farmers of America - 2 years ago