By working closely with the Director of R&D and Technical Services and Stonyfield business teams, the R&D Senior Scientist is responsible for leading long term innovation and new product development projects to ensure that the company’s long term growth meets the defined strategic quality and financial objectives. In this role the R&D Senior Scientist will serve as a catalyst for technical innovation, exploring new technologies adaptable to yogurt and dairy product production with the potential to deliver improved sensory, quality, cost or product performance. This position will involve the identification, study, evaluation, testing, and implementation of new and improved ingredients, processes and methodologies to deliver improved functionality and product quality and to create new business opportunities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
· Responsible for all aspects of food safety and quality as defined in plant and department procedures.
· Collaborate with marketing and business teams to identify new concepts and ideas that are aligned with Stonyfield's innovation strategy and helps deliver business goals.
· Manage the innovation team within R&D by leading scientists and food technologists, building technical expertise in the department and acts as the senior technical innovation resource in the department.
· Researches and manages long term R&D projects, new ingredient, functional ingredients and processing technologies to deliver new and improved products and processes.
· Leads the identification, development, testing and implementation of new and improved yogurt cultures to improve product quality and sensory characteristics of Stonyfield products in both Londonderry and co-packer locations.
· Develops, manages and implements new cultured and frozen dairy products for company’s and co-packing manufacturing locations through the use of unique ingredients and processes.
· Generates and identifies proprietary and innovative technology for adaptation to Stonyfield products and processes.
· Plans, coordinates, and leads technical projects involving complex physical and chemical interactions of nutritional ingredients.
· Applies knowledge of ingredients functionality, interactions and other fundamental food science principles for optimum product design.
· Integrates knowledge of various unit operations and critical ingredients to overall functionality for effective scale up to manufacturing.
· Utilizes structured analysis, design, contingency planning and resources of complex product and process development options in recommending technical solutions to business issues.
· Management of R&D group consisting of R&D Food Technologist and/or R&D lab/Pilot plant technicians towards successful coordination and execution of projects, databases and performance reviews.
Perform other duties as assigned.
· Oversee the efficient implementation of quality standards, programs and processes to improve operational efficiencies and reduce/eliminate production waste and spoilage.
· Support environmental programs established within the organization to include recycling of all office wastes in accordance with program guidelines, initiate power conservation techniques by turning off lights and computers when not in use.
· Proactively look for ways to reduce negative impacts on the environment.
· Proactively work in a safe manner in the context of performing the functions of your position
· Oversee the implementation and adherence to Company safety practices and programs and hold staff accountable for leading safety in the work place.
· Masters Degree in Dairy and/or Food/Nutritional Sciences, PhD preferred.
· Minimum of 10 years R&D and project management experience with dairy and food related companies. In-depth technical understanding of yogurt and cultured products strongly preferred.
· Has demonstrated credibility in identifying and developing research projects to leverage new technology for significant business results.
· Proven experience as a catalyst for ideation, problem analysis, and solution building within a cross functional team.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Strong presentation skills
· Team player with a “can do” attitude
· Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Willingness to travel when required
· Proven ability to thrive in a collaborative team environment.
· Ability to adapt in a changing work environment
If this describes you, and you are passionate about being part of an exciting, growth-oriented company in which people believe that doing well and doing good go “hand-in-hand”, we’d love to hear from you. We offer a competitive salary and an attractive benefits package.
10 Burton Drive
Londonderry, NH 03053
Job Code: SRS
Email HR_Resumes@Stonyfield.com , reference Lead R&D Scientist
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Stonyfield is an equal opportunity employer
Stonyfield Farm - 19 months ago