Installs, repairs and maintains freezers and refrigerators, plumbing systems and HVAC systems for campus buildings and facilities.
- Installs, maintains and repairs refrigerators and freezers, maintains records of repair and advises on/performs preventative maintenance.
- Installs and repairs appliances and equipment.
- Performs maintenance and repair of various facilities as indicated on daily work orders (plumbing and HVAC ).
- Installs and/or renovates plumbing and HVAC systems.
- Performs testing procedures to troubleshoot all electromechanical systems on campus equipment.
- Works cooperatively with others and accepts direction from supervisors.
- Performs all duties in a safe and professional manner and in accordance with established Middlebury College and departmental policies and procedures.
- Keeps up-to-date records of chemicals used in refrigerators and freezers, ensures that chemical levels are in compliance with regulations.
- Orders materials needed to complete jobs from stock area.
- Lays out and installs plumbing and other jobs to comply with plumbing codes.
- Maintains records of time, materials, etc., involved with each job.
- Installs and maintains gas lines and related equipment.
- Maintains ammonia-based refrigeration equipment at ice rink. Maintains and cares for the College pool.
- Performs associated Facilities Services maintenance work as requested, including, but not limited to: snow removal, event set-up and clean-up, truck loading and unloading and grounds maintenance.
- Performs other duties as assigned to assist the department in obtaining and maintaining its mission.
High school diploma or equivalent required with appropriate technical school training in refrigeration systems, electro-mechanic systems and plumbing systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of refrigeration, electromechanical and plumbing systems necessary. Must be a RSES Type I and II Certified Refrigerant Technician required. Journeyman plumber, master preferred or have ability to obtain.
Certified Propane Technician 1,4,6,7 preferred.
Oil heat silver technician training preferred.
Class “S” (boilers, HVAC Systems) Electrician License or journeyman electrician license helpful.
Must be available for emergency maintenance calls on evenings and weekends according to rotational schedule. Ability to work Saturdays and Sundays when on call and during other emergency/major event situations. Must have valid drivers license and own vehicle for transportation of self, tools and procuring small materials. Furnishes own hand tools for plumbing/mechanical work. Must be able to lift up to 80 lbs. frequently. Must be able to push and pull up to 150 lbs. frequently. Requires frequent bending, kneeling and squatting.
Must have prior on-the-job training hours in each trade area. Must be able to work independently with ability to troubleshoot and solve complex heat and refrigeration issues. Familiarity with large building systems preferred.
Click here to view the full physical demand requirements for this position. (Category I screen)
Middlebury is one of the country's top liberal arts colleges. It offers its students a broad curriculum embracing the arts, humanities,...