The Authority is seeking a highly motivated Technician III, Construction Civil Engineering.
The Technician III, Construction Civil Engineering is responsible for monitoring and inspecting the field construction of water mains, sewer lines, pumping stations, wastewater treatment projects, and other infrastructures for the District of Columbia Water and Sewer Authority. Monitors and inspects the work of contractors and provides technical assistance to lower level technicians. Performs sub-professional civil engineering work in the office and field inspection work related to civil engineering and construction projects.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Inspects wastewater treatment facilities, water distribution, sewer collection, storm drainage, structural and paving construction; monitors construction for compliance with approved plans and specifications; checks materials used; determines alignment, grade and compaction of fill; orders standard field and laboratory tests; performs field measurements, including minor survey work; and prepares and maintains related records and reports.
• Reviews construction progress on major projects being built by the Authority or private developers; recommends payment for work performed in accordance with the contract.
• Interprets construction plans and specification, and reviews contractor submittals and construction schedules.
• Assists and plans work performed by subordinate technical personnel. Instructs subordinate technicians in proper work methods and procedures.
• Performs special investigations and field studies of technical and engineering operations.
• Prepares public space permit applications in conformance with Authority and other regulatory agency requirements.
• Monitors on-going phases of projects to determine status and completion date.
• Coordinates pre-construction and construction activities with various Water and Sewer Authority departments and contractors. Consults with contractors, project managers, utility companies, and other WASA department while investigating and solving construction problems.
• Performs other related duties and projects as assigned at the discretion of the immediate supervisor.
• High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate and five (5) years experience associated with field construction and/or maintenance of water and sewer systems.
SKILLS TEST REQUIRED.
1. Knowledge of the elementary principles and practices of civil engineering.
2. Knowledge of possible defects in civil engineering construction materials and of effective corrective measures. Knowledge of the types of tests performed on civil engineering construction materials and their application.
3. Ability to make independent investigations and conduct inspection related to engineering problems, and to enforce requirements firmly, tactfully, and impartially.
4. Ability to perform technical computations, analyze complex data, and prepare plans and reports based on findings.
5. Ability to prepare technical civil engineering drawings for reports and as-builts.
6. Ability to Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
7. Skill in the use of a personal computer and related software for report preparation.
8. In the event that an offer is extended, the candidate will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment physical examination and drug screening.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
DC Water distributes drinking water and collects and treats wastewater for more than 600,000 residential, commercial and governmental...