The Social Service Coordinator (SSC) assesses the social, emotional and situational stress factors related to the guest's illness, need for care, response to treatment and adjustment to care. The SSC also develops and carries out a Plan of Care requested by the physician who will enhance the guest's capacity to function in his/her environment, as well as to assist the family and client to adapt to illness, thereby facilitating ability to meet needs of the medical care plan. Interventions may include short-term counseling services and educating and/or assisting the guest in obtaining community resources. The SSC collaborates with the physician and other members of the health care team to assist the guest in improving a safe medical recovery.
Services are provided according to the state and federal Long Term Care regulations, and Santé's policies and procedures. The SSC maintains safety and infection control measures as well as protecting the guest's privacy as indicated in the facility's Policies and Procedures. Additionally, the Social Service Coordinator may be required to perform chart audits to determine compliance and quality of care.
- Assesses the psychosocial status of guests and families/caregivers related to the guest’s illness, injury and/or disability and environment and communicates findings to the clinical care manager and other members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Assists Navigator in ensuring completion of Admission packet paperwork within 48 hours of Admission.
- Understands the goals of the plan of treatment and provides services accordingly.
- Employs a variety of brief counseling, behavioral and educational techniques to assist guests to cope with an illness, injury and/or disability.
- Carries out social evaluations, including assessing family dynamics, caregiver abilities, communication patterns, and employs an appropriate intervention based on findings.
- Counsel’s guest and family/caregivers as needed in relationship to stress, and other identified coping difficulties.
- Maintains comprehensive working knowledge of community resources and assists referral sources in accessing community resources should services not be provided by Santé.
- Maintains clinical records on all guests documenting psychosocial assessments. Helps guest understand, accept and follow medical recommendations and other services provided that are planned to restore the client to optimum social and health adjustment within his/her capacity.
- Participates in discharge planning from facility when necessary, when skilled nursing services are no longer needed. Promotes continuity of care by making appropriate contact with prior sources of care as requested by the Navigator.
- Maintains a current knowledge of community resources which will meet a variety of guest needs and provides information and referrals to Navigator and other staff members when indicated.
- Available for consultation with physicians, hospitals, clinics or other community agencies as deemed appropriate.
- Submits all clinical record documentation in a complete, timely manner as designated by facility established procedure.
Special Skills, Knowledge, or Ability:
- Willing to take on responsibilities and challenges
- Able to deal calmly and effectively in high stress situation
- Prompt follow-through, organization skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency with an attention to detail
- Professional company advocate
- Positive attitude and optimistic outlook
- Strong communication skills
- Independent worker, yet excellent team player
- Engaging/enthusiastic behavior
- Adheres to ethical business practices by striving to perform in a manner that conforms to the highest standards of ethical behavior, integrity and honesty.
- Takes initiative and responsibility for decisions as an individual and as a company. Exhibits commitment to personal and company-wide goals.
- Participates in the ongoing development of competencies, capabilities, technology and the resources needed to achieve high standards of efficiency and effectiveness. Approaches everything with the passion and desire to meet the highest standards.
- Places needs of the guest first at all times. Care management and service delivery are developed with the goals of the guest’s healing and support in mind. Strives to deliver lasting value to our guests in the comfort of their home.
- Strives to help lead the industry through vision, technology, innovation, and customer service.
- Encourages a positive environment and experience for co-workers and guest services.
- Organizes workload to complete responsibilities in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Must possess the ability to work tactfully with personnel, guests, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel, and the general public. Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and ability to handle difficult situations with tact and finesse.
- Demonstrates willingness and ability to work with electronic input and telecommunication devices.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements (with or without accommodation)
- Must be knowledgeable of Social Work Skilled Nursing Facility practices and procedures, as well as state and federal laws, regulations, and guidelines that pertain to Long Term Care.
- Professional experience in a medical medical setting, utilizing medical terminology preferred.
- Two (2) years vocational training experience, or two (2) years relevant work experience preferred.
- Works in office area(s) as well as throughout the nursing service area (i.e., drug rooms, nurses’ stations, guest rooms, etc.).
- Is subject to frequent interruptions.
- Is involved with guests, associates, visitors, government agencies/personnel, etc., under all conditions and circumstances.
- Is subject to hostile and emotionally upset guests, family members, associates, and visitors.
- Works beyond normal working hours and on weekends and holidays when necessary.
- Is subject to call back during emergency conditions (e.g., severe weather, evacuation, post-disaster, etc.).
- Is subject to injury from falls, burns from equipment, odors, etc., throughout the workday, as well as reactions from dust, disinfectants, tobacco smoke, and other air contaminants.
- Is subject to exposure to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including TB and the AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses.
- May be subject to the handling of and exposure to hazardous chemicals.
- Must be able to move intermittently throughout the workday.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Must be able to see and hear or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately to ensure that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
- Must function independently, and have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with guests, personnel, and support agencies.
- Must be able to relate to and work with the ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and, at times, hostile people within the facility.
- Must be able to push, pull, move, and/or lift a minimum of 25 pounds to a minimum height of 5 feet and be able to push, pull, move, and/or carry such weight a minimum distance of 50 feet.
- May be necessary to assist in the evacuation of guests during emergency situations.
- Risk exposure: Moderate.
- Ability to participate in physical activity.
- Ability to work for extended period of time while sitting or standing and being involved in physical activity.
- Moderate lifting.
- Ability to do extensive bending, lifting and standing on a regular basis.
In order to be considered for this position, your resume must reflect all relevant licenses, certifications, education, and experience noted in the requirements and minimum qualification sections of this job posting. Without this information, candidates cannot be considered for positions to which they may be qualified.
Upon date of hire, applicants will be required to complete the U.S. Department Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States. Santé is not able to support VISA sponsorships.