Potbelly Shift Leaders are our future AMs and GMs! They are tasked with making Potbelly the best place for lunch during their shift by managing and developing Associates to execute outstanding product quality and customer service, and to build sales and control costs. |
Our Shift Leaders lead and behave according to Potbelly Values and follow standard Potbelly operating policies and procedures with essential areas of focus including, but not limited to:
· Lead Associates on shifts, including assigning tasks (cleaning, line duties, opening/closing duties), and providing feedback and training.
· Know and support appropriate personnel policies, labor laws and safety procedures.
· Ensure all security procedures are executed (safe procedures, open/close procedures etc.)
· Transitions into opening/closing duties.
· Make customers really happy.
· Resolve customer complaints/issues.
· Empowers Associates to make sure all customers leave happy.
· Execute and support all food safety requirements and practices.
· Lead Associates to open, transition, and close shifts without supervision.
· Manage and organize the line and delegate duties to Associates.
· Know and uphold standards for product quality.
· Work the line as needed.
· Ensure back-of-the-house procedural standards are met.
· Promote sales on the shift through executing the marketing plan within the four walls.
· Control food costs, labor, waste, and cash on the shift.
· Count drawers and follow proper daily cash handling procedures.
· Must have the ability/stamina to work a minimum of 40 hours a week.
· Ability to stand/walk for 8-9 hours per day and sit for 1-2 hours per day.
· Must be able to exert well-paced and frequent mobility for periods of up to five hours.
· Able to lift up to 10 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
· Will frequently reach, feel, bend, stoop, carry, finely manipulate and key in data.
· Must be able to work in both warm and cool environments, indoors (95%) and outdoors (5%).
· Must be able to tolerate higher levels of noise from music, customer and employee traffic.
· Must be able to tolerate potential allergens: peanut products, egg, dairy, gluten, soy, seafood and shellfish.
· Ability to oversee a fast-paced, high-volume, customer-focused restaurant through coordination of schedules, problem-solving, maintaining cleanliness, training employees and providing great customer service.
Qualifications / Requirements:
Experience, Education and Behaviors
· Must represent Potbelly Advantage and Our Values.
· Minimum of 1 year supervisory experience in a restaurant or retail environment.
· Minimum educational requirement: High School degree.
· Must be able to work a minimum of 2 opens and/or closes per week.
· As a requirement of the position, all Shift Leaders and Managers must be trained and pass a Food Safety Certification course. In Illinois, certification is required through the Illinois Department of Public Health, while in all other states certification is required through the National Restaurant Association (ServSafe), National Registry of Food Safety Professionals or the National Environmental Health Association (Prometric). Should the Shift Leader or Manager fail to pass the certification requirements after two attempts, he or she will be not be qualified to continue to perform in a Shift Leader or Management capacity.
· Ability to comprehend and communicate in English via verbal and written communication, such that employee can perform his or her job responsibilities.
· Exceptional customer service skills.
· Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
· Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Ability to train and coach others.
· Must be able to demonstrate strong leadership skills at all times.
· Must be a strong team-player.
· Ability to manage fast-paced, high-volume shifts while providing excellent customer service.