Under the direction of the OR Materials Manager and Director and within hospital and departmental guidelines, the OR Inventory Coordinator is responsible for the receipt of orders from the hospital receiving docks and verifying delivery accuracy against the original request. Also responsible for the steady flow, ordering and stocking of all non-specialty/bulk/stockless supplies and inventory items in the Main Operating Room, Same Day Surgery Unit and B3C. This includes the maintenance of OR room stock, the process of case pick and the movement of case carts through the Peri-op environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Check-in of daily orders from primary distributors and outside orders and verifying receipts against requests. Reports discrepancies to manager.
- Responsible for de-casing orders in breakdown areas, removing all cardboard to preserve a sterile environment in supply areas.
- Orders basic supplies via handheld barcode ordering technology
- Transports service specific/FedEx/UPS orders to clean cores and cart locations.
- Replenishes supply locations using FIFO (First In, First Out-rotational) procedure.
- Works with PIMMS Administrator to ensure changes in stock locations, additions, deletions and par level changes are captured accordingly.
- Consistently checks for outdates and pulls expired products from supply locations.
- Provides customer service support to end users and staff members regarding product location, delivery and returns.
- Coordinates returning product overages to vendors as needed.
- Collaborates with OR Materials leadership in the implementation of product conversions and management of product recalls.
- Manages the return of unused sterile supply items back to storage locations.
- Monitors overstock storage areas and restocks depleted stock locations accordingly.
- Maintains overall tidiness, cleanliness and good order in supply locations
- On a periodic basis and as requested, cleans storage bins and shelves to maintain dust free environment.
- Maintains order and cleanliness of receiving areas. Works closely with Environmental Services to ensure waste, pallets and skips are clear of all egresses.
- Works within the Operating Room environment and understands principles of sterile technique used during surgery.
- Assists the call center with running critical supplies to operating rooms as needed.
- Transports case carts to Operating Rooms to meet the demands of the surgical schedule.
- Works within the hospital and departmental policies relating to hospital safety and infection control.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent. One to two years’ related inventory stocking experience preferred. Previous exposure to OR/Hospital medical inventory systems and products a plus.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Exceptional customer service skills. Ability to multi-task, think quickly and use sound judgment in a stressful environment. Ability to read, write, and speak English. Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word. Strong work ethic and ability to adapt to change in a fast paced environment a must.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/JOB CONDITIONS
This position requires eight hours of time spent walking and standing. This job also involves routine lifting of heavy objects. Pushing and pulling of pallets and carts is required.
Exposure to the overall Operating Room environment is a requirement. Entering an Operating Room while a procedure is in progress is required.
Role is staffed 24/7
A strict dress code and professional appearance including wearing surgical scrubs is required.
Massachusetts General Hospital - 18 months ago