Research Associate Sr II-1203248
BASF is proud to be an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
BASF Agricultural Solutions, located in Research Triangle Park, NC is headquarters for the BASF Crop Protection Products NAFTA Division, BASF Plant Science L.L.C, BASF Global Insecticide Research, and BASF Global Agricultural Research & Development.
We are searching for outstanding candidates who are interested to work for BASF - The Chemical Company. We have an immediate opportunity available for a Research Associate Sr. II as a Technical Expert – Consumer Safety & Dietary Risk Assessment in the Crop Protection Division at our Research Triangle Park, NC location.
The selected candidate will become part of an established, global interdisciplinary research team focused on the development and registration of new BASF plant protection products as well as supporting life cycle management of our portfolios. The selected candidate will work closely and collaboratively with internal technical experts in relevant units such as global and/or regional registration managers, formulations, analytics, field biology, toxicology and global and regional marketing, as well as externally with national and global regulatory authorities, and industry associations and task forces.
More specifically, the selected candidate will serve as a global and/or regional Consumer Safety Expert for various active substance projects to successfully conduct the following tasks:
- Manage multiple, complex projects and lead associated teams of colleagues that are focused on meeting the consumer safety requirements for the registration of new active substances. Develop innovative approaches in addressing regulatory challenges and timeline constraints.
- Support registration managers in the preparation of dossiers and responses to regulatory agencies.
- Utilize toxicological and residue data to conduct appropriate dietary risk assessments for use in global regulatory dossiers and development strategies.
- Design, plan, initiate, monitor and interpret results of regulatory science studies with plants and animals that are focused on the nature or magnitude of residue from plant protection products in order to meet registration guidelines of regulatory agencies.
- For assigned portfolio, develop strategy for safety data development on the appropriate studies (including metabolism, residue, analytics) needed for regulatory dossiers, including new studies as well as assessment of quality and completeness of existing studies.
- Work with external research organizations to contract regulatory science studies needed for registrations, and act as the study monitor for such studies.
- Train, coach and develop junior personnel.
To view further information on BASF in RTP, NC see the following link:
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
PhD, MS or BS degree in Chemistry, Toxicology, Environmental Science, Agronomy, Crop Protection, Food Science, Biochemistry, Biology or related field; plus minimum relevant job experience of 8+ years for a PhD, 12+ years for MS, or 16+ years for BS in research and development in a life science field.
The required technical skills include:
- Experience in designing and interpreting regulatory science studies that are focused on metabolism of active substances as well as identification and magnitude of residues of parent compound and metabolites in various matrices.
- Demonstrated depth of experience and expertise in working with current regulatory issues and current guidelines of national and global regulatory agencies for registration of active substances with regards to fate of parent substance and metabolites in consumer relevant matrices.
- Demonstrated experience of successful interactions with global and/or national regulatory authorities.
- Working knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices (GLP).
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to work efficiently & effectively as both an independent scientist, leading people on project teams, and as significant team player of a global, multidisciplinary research team.
Multi-tasking will be key to develop, implement, manage and complete multiple complex projects, including solving complex technical problems, in the attainment of goals and time lines for multiple stakeholders.
Excellent oral (including presentation) and written communication skills are required.
Domestic and international travel is expected to be 5 -10%.
In addition to the Required Skills above, a highly qualified candidate will have:
- Direct experience and education totaling 12+ years for PhD, 16+ years for MS, or 20+ years for BS in research and development in a life science field.
- Demonstrated, in-depth experience and expertise in dietary risk assessment of active substances and their metabolites for use in national and/or global regulatory dossiers.
- Experience and ability to effectively lead multi-disciplinary project teams of colleagues to meet or exceed project goals and time lines.
- Experience in effectively representing industry view points and making significant contributions on external task forces/ focus groups regarding consumer safety issues and guidelines for registration of active substances.
- Knowledge of plant protection products, the agricultural products industry, and of agronomic practices.
- Thorough knowledge of the European MRL dossier process.
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Research Triangle Pa
Function: REDE - Research & Development
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: APD-Global Product Safety & Registration
BASF is the world’s leading chemical company with about 112,000 employees and close to 370 production sites worldwide we serve...