Reports to : Director of Faculty – Space Studies
School: Science & Technology
Program: Space Studies
Date Posted: August 30,2012
Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
Adjunct and full-time teaching faculty share our commitment to learning, teaching, interaction with students and faculty, service to our communities of practice, and scholarship. They are united by the common goal of inspiring academic excellence in students with a broad range of interests and experiences consistent with the Community of Inquiry Framework as adopted by APUS for cognitive presence, teaching presence, and social presence. They are key to creating a rewarding online learning experience for students by engaging them, challenging them, and supporting them. They contribute to and participate in a range of activities related to effectiveness and excellence in teaching and student retention. Faculty members remain aware of discipline content intent for the courses they teach. They follow APUS guidelines, processes, and methods and are responsive to mentoring and coaching.
Academic Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Teaching excellence
- Deliver online lessons to undergraduate and/or graduate students.
- Initiate, facilitate, interact and moderate online classroom forums.
- Be a faculty leader in your classes embracing fully the Community of Inquiry Framework of Teaching Presence, Cognitive Presence, and Social Presence.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers within the timeframe set forth by APUS policy providing effective feedback to guide student learning and success.
- Comply with APUS guidelines and expectations for quality faculty engagement online.
- Engage in the classroom and reply to emails, etc. at least every other day, including one day during the weekend.
- Remain aware of classroom procedures and use of instructional materials.
- Participate in professional development to enhance teaching skills.
- Attend discipline specific and administrative meetings as scheduled.
- Maintain ‘discipline’ knowledge by participating in one’s own discipline-related professional communities.
- Support APUS initiatives and departments.
- Adaptability/Flexibility — Open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
- Communication – Ability to communicate information and ideas in writing and speaking so others will understand.
- Cooperation – Pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Critical Thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Education — Knowledge of principles and methods for teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the assessment measures.
- Initiative – Willing and able to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Learning Strategies — Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Monitoring — Monitoring/assessing performance of yourself to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Self-Control – Maintain composure, keep emotions in check, control anger, and avoid aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Stress Tolerance —Ability to accept criticism and deal calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- PhD degree in Aerospace Engineering, Aeronautics, Space Studies or related field from a regionally accredited institution is required.
- Two or more years of professional working experience in the following areas is required:
- Lunar and/or Martian Geology
- US Space Policy is required
- Remote Sensing Satellites is required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs required.
- Record of excellence in teaching.
- College-level teaching experience is preferred.
- Online teaching experience is preferred.
- Standard office environment
- Sitting, walking, climbing stairs, extensive use of keyboard
American Public University System is comprised of American Public University (http://www.apu.apus.edu) and American Military University...