This position provides services to patients of all age groups at PCH. Acts as a consultant and healthcare team member with the Case Manager and Interdisciplinary Team for the following: biopsychosocial assessment; knowledge/use of financial, community, and other resource networks; coordination with CPS, Police jurisdictions, and other governmental authorities; short term support services for selected patients or groups, if appropriate; and crisis intervention as requested by the Case Manager, Nurse, or Physician and/or as determined by the professional judgement of the Social Worker. This position provides and documents services in a timely manner. This position receives supervision of work activities from Mgr, Social Services and/or from the Lead Social Worker. This position does not supervise any other position.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Assesses the patients biopsychosocial status, which may include, but not be limited to, mental health status, support systems, safety issues, risk for abuse/neglect, suicide risk assessment, coping skills, cognitive abilities, etc. as requested by Case Manager, Nurse, and/or Physician as required by regulatory agencies or as determined by the Social Worker's professional judgment.
- Identify any barriers that impede treatment and/or recovery, provide information to the Interdisciplinary Team, and to participate in proactive transition/discharge planning.
- Completes clinical record documentation as required by facility procedures in a timely manner.
- Participates in hospital and departmental operational initiatives to improve care delivery methods.
Coordination of Care
- Develops care plans and provides short-term services such as supportive counseling, bereavement, education regarding medical compliance, support groups, etc. for selected patients/groups and basic crisis interventions as requested by Case Manager, Nurse, and/or Physician as required by regulatory agencies or as determined by the Social Worker's professional judgement.
- Cultivates and maintains effective interaction/ communication with members of the medical staff, nursing staff, case managers, peers and families to drive care coordination process and to facilitate continuity of patient care.
- Facilitates and provides ongoing communication with patient/family and interdisciplinary staff to identify and resolve potential barriers to discharge.
- With case management facilitaes care conferences, interdisciplinary rounds and catastrophic meetings.
- When appropriate, performs outpatient and clinic care coordination and monitors patients care as they transition between outpatient and inpatient service.
- Refers cases identified as risk management issues, peer review issues, or quality issues to the Manager of Social Service or Director of Case Management & Social Service.
- Maintains professional competency by regularly participating in a variety of educational programs and in-services, reviewing relevant professional publications, participating in community based committees related to service line responsibilities, and/or participating in professional societies to ensure ongoing awareness of current methodologies, practices and philosophies as applied to the patient care population.
- Maintains current knowledge of community and other resource networks for planning/provision to meet patients services needs, provides relevant resources to the patient and family, and assists, as necessary, with connecting the patient/family to the relevant resources.
- Transplant social workers recieve ongoing education in the field of transplantation.
Provides excellent customer service
- Provides excellent customer service routinely in interactions with all customers, i.e. coworkers, patients, visitors, physicians, volunteers, etc.
- Responds to email within 24 hours.
Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
- Masters in Social Work at an institution accredited by the Council on Social Work Education or an equivalent foreign degree as determined by the Foreign Equivalency Determination Service of the Council on Social Work Education. (Required)
- Child protection experience (Preferred)
- Five years post-Masters medical social work experience in a health or behavioral health care setting. (Preferred)
- Pediatric social work experience (Preferred)
- Current State of Arizona Licensed Clinical Social Worker or Licensed Master in Social Work by the Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners. (Required)
- Current Heartsavers CPR Certification from the American Heart Association (Preferred)
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written (Required)
- Effective decision-making / problem solving skills, demonstration of creativity in problem-solving, influential leadership skill. (Required)
- Critical thinking skills and ability to anticipate patient discharge needs. (Required)
- Moderate to expert computer skills. (Required)
- Physical Requirement - Fine Motor Skills (pinching, gripping, etc) (Occasionally)
- Physical Requirement - Hearing (Constantly)
- Physical Requirement - Pushing/pulling (Occasionally)
- Physical Requirement - Reaching (Occasionally)
- Physical Requirement - Sitting (Constantly)
- Physical Requirement - Standing (Constantly)
- Physical Requirement - Stooping/crouching/kneeling/crawling (Occasionally)
- Physical Requirement - Talking (Constantly)
- Physical Requirement - Walking (Constantly)
- Physical Requirement - Near Vision (Constantly)
- Physical Requirement - Far Vision (Constantly)
- Physical Requirement - Use of keyboard, mouse and/or computer equipment (Constantly)
- Physical Requirement - Lift up to 35 pounds without assistance (Occasionally)
- Occupational Exposure/Risk Potential - Inside office environment (Applicable)
Phoenix Children's Hospital - 16 months ago