The J.R. Simplot Company is a diverse, privately held organization with roots firmly planted in agriculture and agriculture-related businesses. These endeavors have been around for centuries and will continue to be a vital part of the global economy. We currently have an Automation Engineering Technician position available at our potato processing plant in Caldwell, ID.
This position is responsible for networking, programming, and maintenance of automation applications and networks. The incumbent must have a thorough understanding and advanced working knowledge of various types of networks and programming. This position is also responsible for understanding facility electrical systems and instrumentation equipment as well as being capable of troubleshooting, repairing, maintaining, implementing, and upgrading the systems to ensure operation at optimum levels.
The area of work includes both inside the facility and outside, depending on work requirements. Shift, weekend and overtime work in this position are common and may be required to meet operational goals.
1 Configuration and maintenance of data historians
- Installing, troubleshooting, operating, calibrating, and maintaining, to a high level of reliability, all central process control equipment including computers, programmable controllers, motor controllers, and wiring. This work is done in conjunction with plant electricians and instrumentation personnel
- Ensuring the programming of PLCs and SCADA is reliable, meets requirements and plant standards, as well as ensures instrumentation is tuned and calibrated
- Designing and laying out electrical control systems. Assists engineers and others in developing plans, control sequences, and programs when selecting control equipment for capitals projects and project programming
- Networking, programming, and maintaining automation applications and networks. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
2 Building SCADA or HMI screens
3 All PLC programming and maintenance
4 Instrumentation, instrumentation set-up and calibration
5 Configuration and maintenance of industrial field buses
- Understands and utilizes the process control portion of preventative maintenance and predictive maintenance and participates in these programs to assure optimum reliability.
- Two- or four-year technical degree or certification from an accredited university
- Five or more years' experience performing PLC programming, HMI/SCADA development, and industry field bus networking
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
Just 45 minutes away from Boise, Caldwell offers a small community atmosphere, but large city amenities. Caldwell boasts great community events and recreational activities for river rafters, skiers, hot springs lovers, trail riders and hikers. For the wine lovers, there are over 10 wineries and vineyards to tour.
How to Apply
- Visit www.simplot.com/careers
- Select Job Search
- Select Professional Jobs
- Select All open positions
- Search Job ID # 1049 - Automation Engineering Technician (Food Group - Caldwell, ID)
Please prepare a cover letter outlining your interest and qualifications and submit with your resume via our online application process described above. For best results, please upload your resume as a Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF document. This process includes additional job relevant questions, so plan on at least 20 minutes when you apply.
- Apply through Employee Space to Job ID # 1049 - Automation Engineering Technician (Food Group - Caldwell, ID)
Please Note: When a position is in the interview stage or has been filled, it will no longer appear on our Simplot Careers website.
If you experience difficulty applying, please contact our Employment Center for assistance at We greatly appreciate your interest.
- The J.R. Simplot Company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer*