Area Operations Manager
Successful candidates for this position are curious and energized quick learners who will embrace different responsibilities over the course of the year. This position is not for candidates who like doing the same thing day in and day out! During our busy holiday season peak the successful candidate will adeptly manage, coach, train, and mentor hundreds of seasonal team members in our outbound (pick, pack, and ship) or inbound (receiving and stockkeeping) distribution operation. Area managers keep our operation running smoothly and in balance by staffing the department appropriately and motivating our team to achieve peak quality, efficiency, and overall performance.
From January through early fall the area manager remains responsible for people and operations management but there is an additional and key focus on project management. These projects are strategic initiatives centered on growing our business operations in a sustainable way via process engineering and team/infrastructure/software improvement in close collaboration with other departments. Example challenges may include partnering with a software developer to craft and deploy a key piece of fulfillment software, coaching packers on new processes geared at avoiding damages, or running data to lay plans for our expansion into a new facility.
We are a rapidly-growing company; you'll have the opportunity to grow along with us! Show us what you can do and we will hand you more responsibility. With time successful area managers may have opportunities to lead or manage in other parts of our business.
· Train, motivate, evaluate, and develop 10 full-time and over a hundred seasonal team members.
· Continuously improve operations by creating sustainable and innovative processes that will produce consistent, high-quality results.
· Actively manage the performance of the department and your direct reports by creating, understanding, and reporting on goals and metrics.
· Build and execute team member schedules and training plans.
· Engage and partner with peers to spur interdepartmental process improvements.
· Work with a high sense of urgency, managing multiple projects and prioritizing to meet tight deadlines.
Required Skills & Experience
· 2-5 years of experience managing people, projects, and/or an operation with a track record of driving change and results. Previous experience in distribution is not required but a strong interest in operations is a must.
· The ability to supervise and lead team members while working effectively as part of our management team. A passion for spurring professional growth in others.
· A passion for identifying problems and solving them from end-to-end. An eagerness to identify opportunities, find solutions, execute plans, and evaluate results critically. An understanding of how to create and lock down sustainable, repeatable processes.
· Curiosity. The desire and ability to ask questions, challenge the status quo, and drive change independently in an unstructured environment.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Experience thinking critically and collecting and analyzing data to drive business decisions. An understanding of business math and data.
· Bachelor’s degree or higher.
How To Apply
Please follow the directions below to be considered for this position:
Submit your application online. Include one document with your: (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) salary history.
In your cover letter please include the following: (1) Describe the most complex operation and/or project that you have managed well; (2) Describe a specific success you have had in developing other people.
UncommonGoods - 9 months ago