Reports To : Manager, Financial Aid Services
Office Location : Charles Town, WV
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Date Posted : August 13, 2012
Date Closing : Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Financial Aid Customer Service Specialist is responsible for providing financial aid support to students attending American Public University System (APUS).
This position requires engagement in student recruitment, admissions and/or financial aid activities, and therefore, is ineligible to receive certain types of incentive compensation.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Advises students on various forms of financial aid including federal financial aid (Title IV), veteran’s benefits, alternative loans, scholarships, employer vouchers, military tuition assistance and other payment options.
- Reviews documents for federal financial aid, veteran’s benefits and military tuition assistance and assists students with corrections and/or next steps.
- Assists students, education offices, and employers via telephone and e-mail regarding the financial aid application and award process, alternative loan options and military educational benefits to include tuition assistance and veteran's assistance.
- Monitors and assists students with Virtual Financial Aid Office (VFAO) progression.
- Performs research on approval status of all financial aid types.
- Assists Financial Aid Services Specialists with processing.
- Contacts students via phone or e-mail to provide updates or request information in relation to financial aid processing.
- Identifies and escalates reoccurring student issues to supervisor.
- Interacts with other departments to achieve daily goals.
- Works with student files and completes research, filing, pulling and refilling as necessary for the five functional units of the Finance Department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Basic computer skills, experience with the Internet, and proficiency with Windows based applications required.
- Demonstrated positive work ethic and attitude.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Associate degree preferred.
- Minimum two years experience in financial aid, veteran's benefits, tuition assistance, customer service or call center environment required.
- Experience working in an office environment required.