The Weitz Company of today descends from a small carpentry shop founded in Des Moines, Iowa in 1855. Its client-focused culture offers expertise in private and public projects, as well as specialized sectors such as alternative energy and military construction. The Company's clients and partners receive value through sustainable design and construction, Integrated Project Delivery, lean construction and Virtual Design and Construction. Weitz is employee owned and ranks as one of the top 50 largest general building contractors in the United States.
The Weitz Company is looking for an experienced Project Safety Manager to be located at our Maui Tumon Wells project in Guam .
The Safety Manager supplies safety leadership and oversight for an assigned region. The Safety Manager functions as an expert resource to the business for consistent implementation of company safety standards and programs, provides safety training, supports preconstruction safety planning, and performs jobsite safety auditing and incident investigations. The Safety Manager reports to the Regional Safety Manager or Safety Director and may manage Project Safety Managers and/or other Safety Managers assigned to the business. This position requires travel up to 50% of the time.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each previously stated duty satisfactorily. Therequirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability necessary to succeed as a Project Safety Manager :
Facilitate company-wide sharing of safety best practices and lessons learned.
- Champion positive safety culture within the assigned business. All projects are completed without safety incidents. Eliminate or control safety risk and claim exposure through constant leadership of safety efforts.
- A high level of internal customer service is provided throughout the business and on all projects. Individual assimilates into the business group and is considered a key employee for all safety related matters. Clients have expressed a desire to work with Weitz again.
- Project Safety Managers managed by Safety Manager are learning to be effective safety professionals.
- Proactively identify opportunities to lead or support company-wide safety improvement initiatives based on observations obtained within the assigned business and industry knowledge. Be solution oriented and help resolve difficult safety issues in a timely manner.
- Facilitate safety training in a timely and acceptable manner to all levels of the business.
- Provide qualitative and quantitative assessments of project team safety performance and provide recommended improvements for management team action. Provides direction for implementing company safety initiatives, and measures the implementation of these initiatives.
- Work independently with little supervisory support and the ability to produce quality products that require little to no rework. Consistent application and implementation of company safety standards and programs on all projects.
- Leverage safety experience and broad company exposure as preparation for enhanced leadership responsibilities and career advancement.
Education: A High School diploma or equivalent work experience is required. An industry related college degree is desirable. Safety certifications are preferred and may be required for certain military project positions.
Experience: Five years of military construction work experience is required. Experience as a safety professional with a demonstrated progression of management responsibility is preferred.
Skills: Strong management and organizational skills are required. Broad based background in multiple phases of construction. Business acumen, conflict resolution, and coaching ability are a must. Ability to identify and resolve issues in a timely and efficient manner. Effective communication skills, with strong technical writing skills. The ability to speak in front of large groups. Proven leadership skills in motivating and mentoring all levels of employees. Proficient computer skills including use of Microsoft Office applications.
For more information and to apply please visit our careers page at www.weitz.com . When applying please send specific project experience and detailed information on how you meet the stated requirements.
BUILD IN GOOD COMPANY
The Weitz Company is an EEO/AA employer
The Weitz Company is a drug free working environment
The Weitz Company - 15 months ago