Science Communications Manager
About Mars Symbioscience
Mars Symbioscience is the global health & life sciences segment of Mars, Incorporated focused on delivering evidence-based science. An idea incubator, Mars Symbioscience is headquartered in Germantown
, Maryland, U.S.A., and through its business units, Mars Botanical, Mars Veterinary and Mars Plantcare, produces brands including
: Manager, Cocoa Flavanols (CF) Science Communications
: Director, Cocoa Flavanols (CF) Science Communications
Purpose of the Role
The focus of this role will be on communications of leading edge health and nutrition science.
MARS Symbioscience is a leader and has established a broad and evolving portfolio of scientific research on cocoa flavanols (CF), a phytonutrient in cocoa.
This role’s primary responsibility will be in the translation of the science to Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs), the media, consumers and internal MARS associates. Under the supervision of the Director of CF Science Communications, this position will raise awareness and develop a better understanding of the health benefits of cocoa flavanols through educational and public relations materials/activities.
The ultimate results of these actions will build a consumer desire for cocoa flavanols and positively impact the reputation of MARS.
- Assist in the development of CF science communications strategy and plan for MARS in conjunction with scientific research, scientific and regulatory affairs (SRA), corporate affairs (CA) and marketing leaders
- Work with scientists to translate science to communications relevant to various audiences, including dietitians, media and consumer.
- Prepare communications such as position papers, fact sheets, press releases, social media, presentations, videos and infographics for CF science
- Develop content and maintain CF science websites
- Organize management of all CF communications and events, e.g., attendance, presentations and/or exhibits at scientific meetings, press briefings, corporate meetings, etc
- Develop and gain alignment on internal procedures for internal/external communication of scientific research (review and approval protocol, IP/legal, SRA review)
- Maintain timeline and library of published science papers.
- Coordinate internal CF science education efforts directed at MARS associates and increase awareness of CF science information among internal MARS stakeholders globally.
- Assist in reviewing and providing guidance to business units using CF science/information in their product/segment communications for internal and external communication
- Be a spokesperson for CF with the media where applicable
- Develop KOL relationships as needed and requested
- Assist in Crisis management preparation and communications for CF
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
Experience in successfully communicating health, nutrition and science
Ability to understand and communicate CF science
Excellence in translating science into scientific and popular communications
Excellence in developing key science messages and securing uptake internally and externally
Create internal networks and good working relationships across functional groups (e.g., R&D, Regulatory, Communications and Marketing)
Be viewed as a trusted partner by internal scientists
Expertise in use of appropriate traditional and online media vehicles for various types of communications
Web and social media savvy
Excellent organization and project management skills, detail oriented.
Ability to manage external agencies and consultants relevant to CF science communications.
2 to 5 years of experience in communications of health, nutrition or medical science
Recognition by external scientists as an accurate, reliable and trustworthy communications partner
BS/BA, MS or Ph.D. in communications/journalism, or RD with communications/journalism
Nutrition, health or science degree/specialty preferred
Decision Making Authority and Impact
Working with scientists and Corporate Affairs, this associate will develop the appropriate materials and assist in driving the CF communications strategy in order to maximize desired business results.
This associate will develop CF science communications that will affect the segment’s success
This associate will be responsible for daily management of the communications agencies with whom we will contract to help develop and/or execute the CF communications strategy
This associate will develop internal CF science communications that will increase associate understanding and pride and create/empower associate ambassadors
This associate will affect the reputation of MARS with KOLs, external scientists and external scientific institutions that have an interest in CF research specifically and health and nutrition research more broadly
Development of internal and external CF science communications materials and events
Design and maintenance of approval processes for CF science communications
Social media and web-based CF communications, including videos and infographics.
Efficiently and effectively impact KOLs, the scientific community, and the media via CF research publications, presentations and exhibits
Specific CF science key messages on which to focus communications resource
People Management Responsibility
List the number of direct and indirect roles reporting to this position.
Direct (management associates)
No direct reports
Responsible to manage communications agency and other contractors on a daily basis.
Occasional travel required (about 10%)
Mars knows chocolate sales are nothing to snicker at. It makes such worldwide favorites as M&M's, Snickers, and the Mars bar. Other...