In more than 100 countries, the people of Ashland Inc. (NYSE: ASH) provide the specialty chemicals, technologies and insights to help customers create new and improved products for today and sustainable solutions for tomorrow. Our chemistry is at work every day in a wide variety of markets and applications, including architectural coatings, automotive, construction, energy, food and beverage, personal care, pharmaceutical, tissue and towel, and water treatment. Visit www.ashland.com to see the innovations we offer through our four commercial units - Ashland Specialty Ingredients, Ashland Water Technologies, Ashland Performance Materials and Ashland Consumer Markets."
**This job is based on a ladder structure and the job level (salary) will be determined by the quantity and quality of your experience.
As an R&D Project Leader/ Sr. Staff Scientist within Ashland Specialty Ingredients pharmaceutical team, you will be responsible for leading ,coordinating, planning, and executing assigned new excipient development projects as defined below:
1. Supervise and mentor one or more direct reports
2. Responsible for leading customer projects including coordinating team members, equipment, technologies, materials, testing facilities, and related staff functions to accomplish assigned goals and project time-lines.
3. Coordinate activities with other Project Leaders, operators and other departments (QA, QC, etc.) as warranted ensuring quality results in a timely manner.
4. Generate and maintain documentation required of projects and cGMP pharmaceutical operations and cGMP pharmaceutical operations of Clinical trial Materials including (but not limited to) batch records, SOPs, protocols, manufacturing orders, material item numbers, etc.
5. Communicate with assigned client(s) on a regular basis to ensure the progress of their project.
6. Evaluate data and documentation from project trials and testing, and prepare reports summarizing the R&D and/or CTM manufacturing activities and providing recommendations for product/process improvement, wherever applicable.
7. Design technical programs to advance solid dispersion technology; review, revise and issue experimental protocols and final reports
8. Provide technical review of marketing literature and presentations
9. Support training to Ashland global sales and technical team on solubilization technology and new data developments
10. Present research findings at major technical conferences globally
11. Provide technical support to global key accounts on solid dispersion technology, including spray drying and hot melt extrusion.
Master degree, (Ph.D. degree preferred) in Pharmaceutical Sciences or Chemical Engineering or related field from an accredited institution with 5 to 10 years experience in pharmaceutical solid-dosage product/process development and manufacturing.
Thorough knowledge of pharmaceutics, pharmaceutical materials science and physical chemistry, with emphasis on solid dispersion technology and analytical techniques used to characterize amorphous solid dispersions.
Extensive hands-on experience with hot melt extrusion and / or spray drying
Exhibit excellent mechanical aptitude.
Demonstrates good interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills with both direct reports and clients.
Ability to successfully supervise and motivate direct reports to achieve goals and objectives.
Proven project management track record and ability to successfully manage multiple activities.
An extensive understanding of cGMP requirements and their application.
Travel domestic and international up to 30% of working time.
** Location the position is officially based in Wilmington, but for first 12 months the successful candidate would have to work 2-3 days a week in Columbia, MD .
Ashland has a history of attracting the best people and keeping them. The reasons are simple: industry competitive salary and benefits, pay-for-performance incentive plans and a diverse work environment where employees feel challenged and valued. People come to Ashland and stay. As a growing Fortune 500 specialty chemicals company, we offer opportunities for development and advancement throughout our global organization. Our values define who we are and what we care about as a company. If you are looking for a relationship with a company instead of simply a job, this may be a great fit.
Ashland is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, please select the Apply button provided below. If no Apply button is provided, please visit our Career Center at
Once there, enter job number AQU10123 in the Keyword Search field to find this posting and apply online.
We do not accept resumes from external staffing agencies or independent recruiters for any of our openings unless we have a signed recruiting agreement in place to fill a specific position
Research and Development