The Assistant Service Manager (ASM) assists the Club Manager (CM) or Service Manager (SM) to ensure that the club delivers the best guest and member experience.
Organizational Relationship / People Management:
- Responsible for communicating and upholding company standards and leading by example for delivering the 24 Hour Fitness Service Promise; manage a clean, friendly and well maintained club. Ensure that team members consistently execute the basics in punctuality, dress code compliance friendliness and cleanliness.
- Major emphasis is to support member retention by advocating for the best member experiences and operational processes in the club.
- Assist in the management of training, payroll budget and scheduling, policies and procedures, achieving service-based revenue goals and facilities maintenance.
- Responsible for assisting and directing members/guests, monitoring incoming inquiries and ensuring proper check in procedures are followed.
Reports to the Service Manager (SM)or Club Manager (CM)
This position directly or indirectly manages the following positions inside the club:
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Service Representative (apprx. 3-9)
- Service Representative – Night (apprx. 2-3)
- Kid’s Club Supervisor (apprx. 1-2)
- Kid’s Club Attendant (apprx. 2-7)
- Group X Instructors
The ASM is responsible for performing the following activities for the club:
Depending on the club revenue size, these activities may be supplemented by the Service Manager (in larger clubs), occur only infrequently (in mid-size clubs), or may require routine direct involvement (in smaller clubs).
Service Management [20% of time]
Ensure that all club members are delivered a high member service experience. To achieve this objective the SM will:
Club Administration [20% of time]
- Proactively engage club member base, regularly greet and interact with members, and conduct member satisfaction surveys under company guidelines
- Resolve member concerns and complaints in a professional manner within 24 Hour Fitness corporate and club parameters
- Monitor club facilities for appearance and equipment and resolve or escalate issues that detract from the member experience. Assist CM in providing direction to third party janitorial service
- Instill a sense of common responsibility and teamwork across club functions to improve the member and team member experience
- Ensure all service and kid’s club staff adhere to policy and procedures
Maintain an efficient ‘back office’.
- Drive club efforts in achieving revenue goals in Retail, Drink, Juice Bar and ancillary revenue
- Work with CM in planning and implementation of promotions and merchandising
- Ensure that retail is optimally merchandised and displayed and that merchandise transfers take place according to company policy and procedure
- Implement new operational procedures in the club and follow-up with compliance checks by monitoring club systems and employee performance
- Ensure that systems procedures are accurately followed: proper POS procedure, desk set up, File Organization, Member Check-in, Computer Check-in, Telephone Inquiry, Guest Registration, Master Appointment Book, Cash Handling, Member ID Cards, Fitness Assessment scheduling, etc
Responsible for proper inventory receiving and inventory control activities per company guidelines. Prepare inventory reports
- Review agreements and prepare daily paperwork for forwarding to agreement administration and cash control
- Make daily banking deposits
- Order and maintain all supplies
- Supervise point-of-sales (POS) operations and file daily and weekly club revenue reports
Staffing and Development [10% of time]
Maintain a fully engaged and high performing Service team that aligns with company values and goals. To achieve this objective, the ASM will:
Customer Service [45% of time]
- Manage Front Desk, Kid’s Club, and Group X Instructor schedule within budgeted hours submitted to and approved by CM
- Train & develop Front Desk, Kid’s Club staff, and Group X Instructors on 24 Hour Fitness member service SOPs and objectives
- Conduct weekly (or as-needed) meetings with direct reports to review performance and offer direction, motivation and guidance toward achieving individual and company goals. Offer career growth and advancement opportunities
General [5% of time]
- Greet all incoming members and guests
- Ensure Guest Fitness Profiles are completed and appropriate fees are collected
- Enter Guest and Telephone Inquiry information into GMS
- Answer all incoming inquiries and obtain appropriate information to direct/transfer calls/guests.
- Handle member service issues to include: Personal Training, guest, Lost and Found items, new membership cards, change of address, EFT setup or change, and questions regarding billings and payments.
- Record lost and found items on the Lost and Found Property Log and secure items per policy
- Ensure required forms are available, and completed and processed properly (e.g. Kid’s Club Coupon Log, Group X Reservation sheets, etc.)
- Promote and sell merchandise
- Assists in the planning and implementation of promotions and merchandising.
- Keep front desk area and lobby clutter free, and orderly
- Perform general cleaning duties to include hourly locker room checks
- Ensure all team members are in proper uniform
- Operate Tomax system and ensure open/close/break procedures are followed
- Reconcile and report all incoming or outgoing (i.e. drink refunds) monies
- Process all monetary transactions through Tomax
In addition to specific functional accountabilities, the ASM is expected to act as ‘cross functional’ manager. The ASM develops a broad skill set in order to understand the fundamental roles and duties of their Membership and Fitness peers. The ASM is able to ‘step in’ to assist members and team members to resolve issues in those functions if the MM or FM is absent. The ASM’s development may involve formal cross-training, and/or informal activities.
As revenue and staff levels decrease, the ASM will have increasing personal accountability for personal hours assigned to front-desk and member service activities.
Qualifications:Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Certifications / Educational Level:
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong communication skills both oral and written
- Organization skills
- Attention to detail
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certification required
- Must have 1-2 years experience in customer service function. Retail environment preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred
- Basic computer skills
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for up to 8 hours. The employee occasionally sits, walks, kneels and reaches with hands and arms.
- Frequently required to lift and/or move up to 45 lbs.
- While performing the duties of this job, regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts
- The noise level in the environment is occasionally loud
- Extended workdays are a frequent occurrence, as are weekends and holidays as needed to support the business
24 Hour Fitness Worldwide, the world's largest privately owned and operated fitness center chain, began as a one-club operation in 1983....