Lutheran Church of the Reformation seeks a creative leader and effective manager to serve as parish administrator to advance our mission and ministry. The parish administrator manages the office, communications, property and financial ministries. The parish administrator collaborates with a great variety of people, communicates effectively with compassion, and manages projects with technical savvy.
Reformation's parish administrator reports directly to the senior pastor and is often the face of the organization for both members and visitors to the church.
Reformation is an active church community located in Washington, DC's Capitol Hill neighborhood. Reformation enjoys a diverse and engaged group of 170 households. Since 1987, the congregation has welcomed, encouraged and supported gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons in the church and society. The congregation is blessed with a large facility comprised of the main church facility and three additional buildings. We maintain several long-term space use agreements with approximately 10 equally diverse outside organizations that serve children and adults. Reformation also hosts many groups for other religious, cultural and advocacy events.
The ideal candidate will exhibit strong organizational skills, a high level of productivity and a hospitable and cooperative attitude with fellow staff, outside groups, visitors and members of the congregation. In all areas, the parish administrator is expected to work closely with, and be supported by, the senior pastor, members of the church council, members and leaders of church committees, and with fellow staff and volunteers.
The parish administrator must maintain confidentiality, comfortably interact with a variety of people, professionally manage the office and staff, communicate clearly, assist in the management of the church finances and possess technical savvy needed to communicate effectively across a broad array of modern platforms.
Office Management & Church Communications (40% of PA time)
The PA will take a leading role in assisting the senior pastor, council and committees in preparing meeting reports, responding to visitors and church members, preparing church communications, maintaining the parish calendar and managing advertising and publicity projects. Specific office duties also include:
Property Management (20% of PA's Time)
- Supervise paid and volunteer office staff
- Maintain the office, office equipment and supplies
- Maintain and update databases, filing systems, church records and key documents
- Maintain and work to improve the church website and social media programs
- Provide clerical support for the senior pastor.
The PA will take a leading role in assisting the senior pastor, council and committees in managing the use of space by outside groups and in addressing the ongoing repair and renovation needs of church facilities. In addition to acting as the supervisor of the property maintenance staff, the PA will, with others:
Finance and Stewardship Management (20% of PA's Time)
- Track maintenance schedules and priorities
- Establish space use schedules and priorities
- Collect bids and schedule contractors
- Meet with shared space users and market church facilities
- Steward the resources of the church and limit waste
- Ensure contract employees (cleaning, maintenance, grounds keeping, etc.) are performing to expectations
The PA will take a leading role in assisting the senior pastor, council and committees in accurately tracking and properly managing the daily income and expenditures of the church. Duties in this regard include:
Congregational Support(20% of PA's Time)
- Helping staff and church committees accurately manage and budget their priorities
- Processing accounts payable and managing the proper handling of all incoming mail related to church finances
- Assisting with proper financial record keeping and filing, including an annual audit
- Under the oversight of the senior pastor, reviewing and implementing personnel polices
- Manage timesheets and other staffing reports
The PA will take a leading role in assisting the senior pastor, council and committees in
Skill and Experience
- Organizing for the care and hospitality of those in need
- Assisting with Food Pantry distribution, inquiries and volunteers
- Assist congregation members in organizing weekly worship and social hour volunteers
- Attend Sunday services at Reformation at least once each quarter
Excellent candidates will possess:
Other experiences and skills that are beneficial include:
- A Bachelor's degree
- Strong project management skills for short- and long-term projects
- An ability to carry out assignments in a Microsoft Office environment, including proficiency in Excel and experience with editing and layout or design.
- Experience supervising and supporting entry to mid-level employees, contractors or volunteers.
- Excellent communication and proofreading skills
- Ability to manipulate, update and maintain databases, including church management software (like IconCMS)
Compensation, Hours and Location
- Experience maintaining websites and list-serves
- Experience with office and building management
- Experience in a multicultural, intergenerational & diverse environment
- Experience with church traditions and practices rooted in historic liturgies.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Depending upon experience, the salary range is $40,000 to $45,000. A generous benefits package includes, health, dental, and retirement.
The office hours are generally Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Night and weekend meetings occur 2-4 times per month. Reformation is located at 212 East Capitol Street NE, Washington, DC 20003.
idealist.org - 12 months ago