Perform a variety of manual, technical and record-keeping tasks in the Solid Waste Department Household Hazardous Materials collection facility. Employee performs work of moderate difficulty in the collection, transport and disposal of household hazardous material (HHM) and recycled materials.
Hours of Work: Regular schedule is Mon.-Fri. 7:30am-4:00pm (occasionally 6pm). Must be available to work a substantial number of Saturday collection events from 7:00am-3:00pm.
To Be a Successful Applicant: 1-Provide a ten-year work history. Explain gaps in employment. 2-Include reasons for leaving each job. 3-Fill out all fields on the application, including address and phone numbers of previous employers.
Essential Job Functions:
For a full list of duties, qualifications and physical demands, please see job description on our website. Assists in the operation of Household Hazardous Materials collection facility and educational activities related to HHM. Unloads waste from customers. Analyzes, s orts and bulks waste by category. Screens incoming waste for possible reuse. Packages and manifests waste. Coordinates with disposal or recycling companies for the transfer/shipping of collected HHM. Sets up for outreach events including installing canopies, setting up and labeling waste containers, placing tables, collection bins, signs, tarps, etc. Properly labels and transports waste following completion. Completes proper and detailed record keeping and reporting requirements. Operates the business collection program which includes answering business-related questions, scheduling, billing, etc. Operates a forklift. Wears personal protective equipment such as respirators, gloves, and safety goggles, as needed.
Training, Experience and Other Requirements:
- High school education or GED which includes a chemistry class. Preference for college, university or technical college chemistry course work. Preference for Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in environmental science, biology, chemistry, or closely related field preferred.
- Experience in solid waste, recycling, laboratory, hazardous materials handling or in a science or environmental field.
- Record of excellent customer service.
- Flexibility to work a highly varied schedule and be available for work on evenings and weekends. Availability to work a substantial number of Saturday collection events.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must obtain certification for OSHA HAZWOPER, DOT, Hazardous Waste and CPR training as specified by supervisor; be medically approved and continuously able to wear an air-purifying respirator; must obtain CHMM certification within 18 months as specified by supervisor.
- Must successfully complete approved training program provided by La Crosse County.
- Must successfully pass criminal record check.
- Must be 18 years of age.
La Crosse County, WI - 4 months ago