Position: GROUP ACCOUNT DIRECTOR
Reporting to: Regional: MANAGING PARTNER
Global Solutions operates as part of a matrix within the network structure of MEC Areas of competence and Markets (Countries) all come together in regional hubs with Global Solutions to lead & manage MEC’s multi-national accounts Group Account Directors lead client teams, with support from Account Directors, Managers and Executives. Strategic planning is also an integrated role in the position.
Objectives of the role:
- To proactively manage our multi-national client’s business & provide leadership & direction for the regional and local teams
- To be accountable for the overall level of service, consistency of delivery and media planning / buying performance across the network, proactively engaging local or regional management assistance when required
- To ensure the most efficient & effective deployment of network resources in pursuance of the clients communication strategies & business goals
- To increase the scale and scope of the assignment (markets and / or projects) with the objective of profitable network revenue growth
- To evolve & implement a broader business & communications product & relationship by use of our planning process, leveraging other MEC divisions and / or sister WPP companies
- To identify, effectively manage and develop central account teams tailored to deliver client needs, and to work with Country Managers to do the same at a local level
- To liase closely with new business development and marketing teams to identify and realise opportunities for organic and new business growth
- To support the organisation and drive overall delivery via the 5 pillars – people, (client) product, profitability, profile & prospects
Team formulation and management
· Create, direct, effectively manage, motivate and develop the account team in the central hub (plus local teams if appropriate)
- Actively promote a culture in the organisation which enables the client teams and the organisation as a whole to deliver our 4 MEC values and work together effectively & successfully
- Promote key learning transfer across national boundaries
- Together with country managers, troubleshoot on local client team issues
- Drive and develop relationships of trust and respect with the client at the highest level. Seek to broaden & deepen relationships through the client organisation.
- Define and disseminate our offer in relation to client needs, identify best practices & deploy relevant media tools & media systems via the team & on behalf of clients.
- Together with Financial and Managing Director, negotiate contracts which clearly describes service structure and scope of work and ensures profitable income stream (Regional and in conjunction with Country Managers when appropriate).
- Oversee timely and accurate client / media owner billing & payment.
- Anticipate client business needs and proactively develop strategies which address these and enhance close consultative partnership and preferred status.
- Define and lead client training programmes.
- Direct account team and oversee network client delivery to ensure account profitability.
- Write and implement annual client “Direction, Needs, Action management report” (DNA).
- Effectively organise, manage & represent own account team within Global Solutions & the network
- Participate actively in the Agency management team, addressing staff development, financial, training, central services and general network issues
- Identify and direct assigned cross company projects, relating to both client accounts and organisational development issue
- Actively promote a positive understanding of MEC’s ambition, values and philosophies in both client dealings, dealings within MEC (hub and network) and in the broader industry at large
How success is measured (for each of the Key tasks above)
- Delivery of profitable client contracts & revenue targets
- Generation of targeted increases in revenue, in line with MEC’s business goals and DNA targets, especially via increased use of additional agency services .
- Client satisfaction survey
- 360 degree appraisal feedback / scores over time
- Successful fulfilment of teams members’ personal goals and development plans
- Constructive & positive contribution to Agency management & team projects
- Adherence to annual stretch objectives plus personal development objective
Skills and Behaviours:
What are the technical skills necessary to perform the role?
- 8+ years media, communications or marketing background – with international experience, including planning or buying of one or more discipline
- Successful & proven client & team management & development track record
- Strategic vision and ability to translate this into business goals
- Excellent communication techniques – verbal & written
- Ability to find innovative solutions to business and management issues (client & internal)
- Financial acumen and responsibility
What are the personal behaviours necessary to meet the needs of the role?
- Ability to build and drive deep customer relationships
- Instinct to motivate and develop team members to full potential – positive & supportive behaviour
- A collaborative & challenging spirit
- Entrepreneurial mentality
- Ambitious goal-setting
- Ability to devise & deploy imaginative solutions
- Very strong organisational and time management skills
- Leadership stance
- Self motivation and a hunger to learn / develop self
Key Contacts ( provides scope for the role)
Extent and frequency of contact list
Senior & mid – level management in Network
Global Solutions regional / global team
Senior Media Owners
Industry auditors and pundits
MEC and WPP partner company management
Academic profile -Graduate capability - (Business, Marketing degree preferred but not essential)
Professional profile (type of experience, which Industry, Company)
Must have local & international media / communications and / or marketing marketplace experience.
Language requirements – Language requirements: Bilingual Fluent oral and written English and Spanish are essential
Technology skills - Word, Excel, PowerPoint – essential , Media tools – desirable
GroupM - 2 years ago