The System X Product Engineering organization is a component of IBM Systems and Technology group and its mission is to provide exceptional hardware engineering support for clients who purchase IBM branded, Intel-based servers and modular systems (Blade/ BladeCenter/ PureSystems).
Responsibilities include providing technical expertise to the field on problem determination/isolation, then providing action plans to resolve client issues on modular systems/ server networking hardware. The Product Engineer (PE) may also provide technical expertise in support of critical client situation resolution. This role serves as the Field's interface to hardware development for the identification and analysis of design, architecture and process issues and for driving those issues to resolution. A PE is expected to manage pervasive field issues, provide field communication and fix releases. PE support is engaged starting with pre-product introduction through the product end of life.
Key Activities include:
1. Use lab hardware to replicate customer configuration in order to replicate customer failure mechanism.
2. Read and interpret hardware error logs & OS logs to isolate customer problems.
3. Use specialized debug equipment like scopes and analyzers to isolate complex client problems.
4. Work with suppliers, development, and test to drive fixes for field issues.
5. Participate on pre-product activities, taking technical positions for defect deferrals and HW design changes.
6. Interface with client teams and customers to explain technical solutions and maintain customer satisfaction.
7. Generate technical documentation for service personnel and clients to follow.
8. Provide on-site assistance to resolve critical client technical issues (when required)
The ideal candidate would also possess:
1. Hands on experience working with Intel and Power processor based servers.
2. Hands on experience installing various Operating Systems: Windows, SUSE, RedHat and VMware.
3. Fundamental knowledge in networking concepts and design.
4. Occasional travel required (international and domestic)
Readiness to travel 10% travel annually
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), is an information technology (IT) company. s major operations include Global Technology...