Resource Conservationist
Department Of Agriculture - Pearl, MS

This job posting is no longer available on Find similar jobs: Resource Conservationist jobs - Department Of Agriculture jobs

Be Remarkable! Make a Difference! Join the Natural Resources Conservation Service team and help us conserve our nation's Natural Resources! Visit our web site ( ) to learn more.


Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is known worldwide for its accomplishments and innovations in conservation. The employees of NRCS are recognized for their talent, dedication, and ingenuity in making the agency's programs work as they take necessary steps to reduce erosion, protect wildlife, promote good land use, and other measures to preserve the Nation's natural resources for future generations. Join us in protecting and conserving natural resources on America's private lands!

This announcement is open to all U.S. citizens. Those with Competitive Status and those with special hiring eligibility should also apply to announcement MS-788704-EM that runs concurrent with this announcement. Only one position is being filled between the two announcements.


You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.

Subject to a background/suitability investigation.

Positive education required with specialized experience-see Qualifications

Valid Motor Vehicle Operators License

Duties include, but are not limited to:
  • Serving as Resource Conservationist assigned to the area staff with headquarters in Pearl, MS, providing technical leadership, guidance, assistance and evaluation on matters related to resource conservation planning and implementation environmental quality, and related aspects of Service programs
  • Provides guidance of conservation programs such as EQIP, CRP, WHIP, WRP, FIP, GLCI, and small watershed programs.
  • Maintains effective relations and works closely with representatives of federal agencies (USDA and non-USDA), as well as state and local agencies and organizations.
  • Represents the Service by serving as an advisor and by assisting planning and development districts, Regional Planning Commissions and other resource and/or planning interest within the area to develop, interpret and utilize basic resource data in their planning responsibilities.
  • Performs other duties as assigned
BASIC REQUIREMENT: Successfully completion a full four (4) year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included a major field of study in soil conservation or related agricultural or natural resource discipline such as agronomy, soil science, forestry, agricultural education, or agricultural engineering. The study must have included 30 semester hours in a natural resource or agricultural field, including at least 12 semester hours in a combination of soils and crops or plant science. Of the 12 semester hours, a minimum of 3 semester hours must have been in soils and 3 semester hours in crops or plant science. You must submit transcripts to support this requirement.


Possess a combination of education and experience- at least 30 semester hours in one or more of the disciplines as shown above, including at least 12 semester hours in a combination of soils and crops or plant science, plus appropriate experience or additional education. Of the 12 semester hours, a minimum of 3 semester hours must have been in soils and 3 semester hours in crops or plant science. You must submit transcripts to support this requirement.


This position includes a Selective Placement Factor (skill, knowledge, ability or other worker characteristic basic to - and essential for - satisfactory performance of the job). Selective Placements Factors are a prerequisite to appointment and represent minimum requirements for a position. Applicants who do not meet it are ineligible for further consideration.

The selective placement factor for this position is: A valid and current State Driver’s License. To receive credit for this requirement, it must be documented in your application/resume.

IN ADDITION TO THE REQUIREMENTS, THE GS-12 REQUIRES: One (1) year of specialized experience that equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of this position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level of Federal service. Examples of related experience include: analyzing and interpreting intricate physical land features, water sources, and plant material suitability using professional knowledge of a broad range of soil and water conservation principles, methods, and techniques; formulating complex cost-sharing proposal involving a significant outlay of agency conservation funds utilizing knowledge of hydrology, biology, practical engineering techniques, agronomy, and range conservation; planning and applying resource management systems; developing a combination of critical treatment and flood prevention measures affecting a large agriculture land area; and communicating both orally and in writing, presenting and explaining resource conservation and development projects and cost-sharing provisions, and short and long range conservation objectives . Evidence of specialized experience must be supported by detailed documentation on your resume/612 and must include job title, duties, month & year AND hours worked per week.

For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at .

APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: . All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly.

*** If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. ***

Veteran's Preference :
When applying for Federal jobs, eligible veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of DD-214(s) showing all dates of service as well as character of service (honorable, general, etc.). Additionally, veterans with service-connected disability of 10% or more must also submit a copy of their official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs, or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying their service-connected disability and/or their receipt of compensation for service-connected disability.

Veterans with service-connected disability of less than 10%, nonservice-connected disability, and Purple Heart recipients, as-well-as those claiming derived preference for a spouse, widow or widower, or natural mother, should refer to and submit a completed SF 15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference," and required documentation with your application materials.

For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit .

Applicants will be ranked based on three quality groups, as follows:

Best Qualified: Applicant possesses all of the job related competencies identifies as important for successful job performance.

Well -Qualified: Applicant possesses a majority (i.e., more than half) of the job related competencies needed for successful job performance.

Qualified: Applicant meets the basic eligibility and minimum qualification requirements, but does not meet the definition of Well-Qualified or Best Qualified describe above.

After the vacancy announcement closes, applications are evaluated against the questionnaire responses and placed in the appropriate quality group. The best qualified group is the first to be referred to the hiring facility for further consideration and possible interview. The remaining groups may be referred based on the number of applicants available.

USDA/NRCS offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: .

The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at . - 2 years ago - save job
About this company
387 reviews
We provide leadership on food, agriculture, natural resources, rural development, nutrition, and related issues based on sound public...