This job is responsible for organizing, planning, leading, and directing clinical and management activities for the designated department and in accordance with hospital policies and procedures. Accountable for daily operations and oversight of nursing practice and patient care delivery. Participates as a member of the health care team in maintaining continuity and quality of patient care. Contributes to organizational operations and supports the mission by fostering interdepartmental communication/collaboration. Demonstrates a high level of ability in leadership, supervisory skills, problem solving, patient advocacy and public relations.
- Manages and evaluates the clinical operations, programs and resources of the assigned clinical area/facility to assure the safe and appropriate delivery of diagnostic and/or therapeutic patient care. Ensures that all activities are conducted in a timely and cost-effective manner and in compliance with organizational values, professional standards, internal policies and applicable regulatory requirements. Participates in the development of, and implements new clinical systems/programs to enhance existing services and raise the standard of care for the patient population served. Ensures that work unit activities, productivity, and/or quality indicators are documented in accordance with FHS guidelines. Oversees the resolution of daily clinical administrative and operational issues. Monitors/troubleshoots service recovery and other escalated concerns and resolves within defined scope of responsibility. Collaborates with other departments to address and resolve problems, share information and enhance overall effectiveness/productivity. Communicates significant information to department director and others in a timely and appropriate manner.
Staff Management and Development:
- Plans, manages and evaluates the work of clinical and administrative staff in accordance with the content, spirit and intent of applicable internal/external regulations and standard for human resource management. Ensures that employees are qualified and properly trained to perform assigned job duties. Holds regular staff meetings and keeps employees apprised of all matters relevant to successful job performance. Makes employment decisions, establishes performance standards and evaluates employee performance. Educates, guides, counsels and develops staff and addresses performance management concerns and technical issues elevated by subordinates as beyond their scope of authority.
- Ensures all aspects of clinical operations are conducted and documented in compliance with relevant internal policies, standards/procedures, and applicable regulatory requirements. Assesses on a continuous basis, services, patient outcomes, quality control, family/patient satisfaction, staffing needs and operational effectiveness to ensure optimal care and delivery. Ensures that internal controls are sufficient to provide for accurate complete and compliant programs and processes. Identifies need for changes in standards, programs and services and develops recommendations for consideration by the Director.
- Participates in annual budget planning and administration relative to assigned responsibilities. Identifies adequate staffing levels for appropriate coverage to meet budgetary and operational objectives. Monitors work schedules and staffing levels to meet budgetary requirements and control overtime and/or premium pay. Monitors and approves expenditures within defined scope of responsibility. Explains variances and addresses in a timely manner. Informs Director of all issues with potential for budgetary impact.
- Works with management team to ensure the application of consistent operational and clinical practices. Assesses the strengths/weaknesses of the assigned clinical area/facility to identify opportunities and provide recommendations to Director for new quality/performance improvement initiatives. Implements new processes and ensures that performance improvement activities are conducted in a timely and effective manner. Ensures staff receives the necessary on-site training and consultation to enhance their understanding of quality/performance improvement initiatives.
Short- and Long-Term Planning
Additional Essential Job Functions
- Participates, as a key member of the management team for the assigned clinical function, in the development of strategies, initiatives and programs addressing matters such as: provision of new services, standardization of procedures across the organization, maximizing resources, improving cost-effectiveness of clinical services provided, enhancing patient outcomes/satisfaction and other issues of similar complexity and consequence.
May fill in for Director on occasion to include: Attending meetings within FHS, as well as in the Community setting; participating in special projects; working with physician office staff to improve patient care and communication; and covering some duties in Director’s absence.
Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
Bachelor’s degree in nursing
Two years experience within the last five years in a charge nurse / leadership position preferred.
Current State Licensure as a Registered Nurse required.
Current CPR certification.
Demonstrates a commitment to service, organization values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all times.
Adheres to and exhibits our core values:
Having a profound spirit of awe and respect for all creation, shaping relationships to self, to one another and to God and acknowledging that we hold in trust all that has been given to us.
Moral wholeness, soundness, uprightness, honesty and sincerity as a basis of trustworthiness.
Feeling with others, being one with others in their sorrows and joys, rooted in the sense of solidarity as members of the human community.
Outstanding achievement, merit, virtue; continually surpassing standards to achieve/maintain quality.
Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive data at all times.
Adheres to organizational and department specific safety standards and guidelines.
Works collaboratively and supports efforts of team members.
Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with physicians, patients, residents, visitors, staff and the broader health care community.
Catholic Health Initiatives and its organizations are Equal Opportunity Employers CB|
WA-Tacoma-Sjmc-Sj Outpatient Center
Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period
For Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI), returning sick people to good health is more than a business -- it's a mission. Formed in 1996...