LIBRARIAN II (Asst. Manager - Youth Services)
Applications Accepted From: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Department: Houston Public Library
Division: Customer Experience
Section: Neighborhood Libraries
Location: Northeast Houston*
Workdays & Hours: Varied within Mon-Sun*; 8:15am - 8:15pm*
*Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Just as the world around us is exciting and rapidly changing, so are public libraries! If you are looking for an opportunity to be a vital member of a forward thinking, customer focused, progressive organization where you can help take library services to the next level and make a difference in the lives of people every day - the award winning Houston Public Library (HPL) is looking for you! Located in Houston, Texas, the nation's fourth largest and most culturally diverse city, the Houston Public Library serves a population of 2.2 million citizens through a network of 44 unique facilities.
The HPL team prides itself in delivering exceptional customer service, while being guided by four organizational service priorities:
1) Access to technology and technology instruction
2) Workforce development,
3) Literacy advancement, and
4) Support for student success
To be a successful member of our team you must embrace HPL's organizational priorities, have a passion for service and work with patience and courtesy during all customer interactions; communicate pleasantly and effectively, think quickly and logically to expedite effective responses to customer inquiries. In addition, you must enjoy interacting directly with people of all ages from diverse backgrounds and be adept at understanding the needs of the library customers and with connecting them with the right resources and/or the right person to assist them; You must be comfortable with computers, tablets, e-readers, etc. and emerging technologies; be able to assist library customers with their basic computer needs; share responsibilities for all library customer service functions, and contribute to building a positive team spirit. As a team member you will be "on the move" in our libraries: You will stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, and may have to push/pull up to 50 pounds, and lift up to 20 pounds.
So, in essence, you are a perfect fit for the HPL team if you:
• Specialize in smiles and have a great attitude!
• Enjoy interacting with people
• Are passionate about providing exemplary service
• Have strong computer skills
• Are energetic and think quickly on your feet
• Can work collaboratively with team members to get the job done
• Can adapt easily to change and are excited about growing and learning in a continuously improving environment.
Librarian II's will:
• possess exceptional leadership skills to assist the Group Manager who oversees two more neighborhood libraries;
• serve as the Manager in charge in the absence of the Group Manager;
• oversee and coordinate assigned team members to effectively complete tasks;
• take initiative to creatively solve problems and possess sound decision-making skills;
• exhibit a high level of creativity for innovative services and programming for youth;
• display an extensive knowledge of youth literature and resources;
• collaborate with schools and other community groups to promote the library;
• have a strong knowledge of current trends and developments including electronic devices such as e-readers, tablets, and video gaming equipment.
• Enjoy working with youth and create quality experiences for them and their families.
• Requires evenings and weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) shift work
Applicants are encouraged to submit a Cover Letter and Resume when applying. For a location listing of our 37 Neighborhood Libraries, please visit www.houstonlibrary.org/hpl-locations.
Position requires stooping and bending; lifting of library materials up to 20 pounds. Must be able to move freely throughout the library to file/retrieve library materials. Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Master's of Library Science degree from a school accredited by American Library Association (ALA) and one year of (full-time) verifiable experience as a librarian.
Requires a Bachelor's degree plus 18 hours toward a Master's of Library Science degree from a school accredited by ALA and two years of (full-time) verifiable professional library experience. A Master's of Library Science degree must be completed within two years from being hired into this classification.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
See Educational Requirements section.
Experience in programming and current knowledge of MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint and Word) is highly preferred. Experience working with people of diverse backgrounds, ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, have strong interpersonal, and collaboration skills is preferred. Bilingual (Spanish and English) is a plus.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
A valid Driver's License and compliance with the City of Houston policy on driving (AP 2-2) is preferred.
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED: None
However, the Department may administer a skill assessment evaluation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification. The salary range for this position is:
Salary Range - Pay Grade 21
OPENING DATE: February 13, 2013
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
For application status inquiries or special accommodations, please call the Library's Human Resources Office at 832-393-1339.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
City of Houston, TX - 21 months ago