For 2013-14 School Year
High School Speech and Debate Teacher and Coach
High School Speech and Debate Teacher and Coach North Broward Preparatory School is seeking a high school speech and debate teacher/coach with expertise teaching and coaching high school students. Preferred but not required qualities include intimate knowledge of FFL and/or NFL competitive debate, ESOL certification, experience coaching novice and advanced levels and multiple styles/events, and a willingness to travel.
SKILL SET REQUIREMENT
- Ability to articulate the Mission, Vision, and Values of the school and Meritas, both verbally and in writing
- Comprehensive knowledge of curriculum and instruction within the appropriate content area and/or grade level
- Ability to function as a student achievement advocate and advisor
- In depth understanding of all elements, goals, instructional best practice strategies, embodied in the Meritas Academic Plan (MAP), as well as the ability to clearly articulate the plan to parents and students.
- Outstanding listening skills
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Highly developed presentation skills
- Effective organizational skills including but not limited to lesson planning, implementing units of study, differentiating instruction, designing and implementing assessments
- Ability to monitor student progress and report information in a timely manner
- Ability to manage, delegate and monitor tasks
- Ability to mentor and coach students
- Highly developed collaborative leadership skills and the ability to work well with and through others
- Ability to prioritize and to expend allotted resources in alignment with stated academic priorities
- Ability to foster and maintain a positive school climate
- Sense of humor
- Implement the established curriculum as described in the NBPS curriculum maps
- Maintain and update curriculum maps on Atlas Rubicon
- Select and plan appropriate learning and teaching activities that are in alignment with NBPS standards and the Meritas Academic Plan
- Exercise good classroom management with the use of fair and consistent standards and appropriate sanctions that are clearly articulated to the students
- Encourage students to ask questions and to express their difficulties.
- Know and use a wide range of assessment strategies consistent with course content and objectives.
- Provide reports on student progress and maintain open communication with ensuring that these reports are accurate and constructive
- Differentiate instruction and assessment to meet the diverse needs of students
- Identify students who need additional academic assistance and be able to refer such students appropriately.
- Provide opportunities for student expression using spoken, written, and electronic forms of communication.
- Develop lessons that engage students in higher order thinking (refer to Bloom's Taxonomy).
- Provide a safe learning environment in which students can take intellectual risks.
- Use learning resources and technology to enhance lessons where appropriate
- Create a stimulating and challenging learning environment with effective use being made of classroom displays.
- Develop student cooperation and tolerance through group work.
- Create an environment that fosters a global mind set
- Create an atmosphere of mutual respect.
- Assist students in taking responsibility for their own actions.
- Encourage students to set realistic goals and to use their time in a constructive and balanced manner.
- Encourage students to participate in the co-curricula life of the school.
- Assign homework that is meaningful and appropriate
- Follow NBPS Professional Protocols
- Follow Meritas Academic Plan Protocols
- Maintain accurate records
- Attend functions in support of school and community
- Attend all meetings as required
- Maintain student portfolios and facilitate student led conference following division requirements
North Broward Preparatory School - 22 months ago