The Education and Community Engagement Specialist develops products and manages programs that advance geoscience education or UNAVCO outreach. These duties require strong collaboration with staff, scientists, peer organizations, and other stakeholders.
This position requires collaborative and collegial interactions with staff at all levels of the organization and with external constituencies.
Internal. The specialist typically reports to the Director of Education and Community Engagement, interacts and collaborates with peers and colleagues across the organization, and is supported by an administrative assistant.
External. The specialist routinely interacts with external constituencies, especially science community members, students, educators at many levels, graphic design professionals or public policy constituencies. May interact with vendors through the Purchasing Agent, as required to clarify procurement requirements.
Essential Job Functions [General]
Essential Job Functions [Assignment-Specific ]
- Under general supervision, manage projects and/or the development of education/outreach products that enhance knowledge of the Earth and advance UNAVCO’s mission.
- Build networks of stakeholders (such as scientists, researchers, educators, policymakers) to further communication of UNAVCO community science and its relevance to society.
- Coordinate and support community planning for meetings, workshops, short courses, and other professional development activities.
- May develop and maintain educational or outreach products and programs for broad dissemination.
- Contribute to grant proposal writing to secure resources for the program, and to reporting on awards.
- Represent UNAVCO in networks of peer organizations.
- Manage programmatic information for databases and archives such as scientific publications, photographs, documents, and graphic materials.
- This position requires travel, as well as sporadic response to external events outside of established working hours.
- Other duties may be assigned as necessary for the successful operation of the business.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manage the end-to-end internship process, including recruitment, selection, summer activities, event and conference support, and scholarships.
- Develop internal schedules and metrics to manage and monitor the RESESS program and its impacts.
- Work with UNAVCO staff to produce multi-media materials for reports to UNAVCO, external partners, and sponsors.
- Represent RESESS in local and national diversity networks.
- Report in a timely and effective manner to stakeholders.
- Identify funding opportunities and develop, with the RESESS PI and other advisors, proposals for external support.
- Represent RESESS effectively within UNAVCO to promote widespread participation
Skills and Knowledge
Education and Experience
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and spoken English, including the ability to clearly explain science to non-specialists.
- General knowledge of Geosciences.
- Ability to manage projects while meeting federal award requirements.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and interact effectively with internal and external partners and customers.
- Familiarity with print, electronic, and exhibit media.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree
- Research experience
Ability to use computing and communication devices; see well enough to use computer effectively; and both hear and speak effectively on phone. Must be able to sit for sustained periods of time.
Ability to understand, remember and communicate routine, factual information. Ability to organize and prioritize own work schedule on short-term basis (longer than one month). Ability to make decisions which have moderate impact on immediate work unit. Ability to compose letters, outlines, memoranda, and reports and/or to orally communicate technical information. Ability to compute, analyze and interpret numerical data.