STATE TESTED NURSING ASSISTANT
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Performs resident/patient care activities and related services necessary in caring for the personal needs, safety, and comfort of residents/patients as assigned. Assists in providing a positive physical, social and psychological environment. Follows all Extendicare policies and procedures.
The responsibilities of this position involve significant physical activities including standing, lifting ( up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting. All employees of nursing homes may be required to provide lifting and transfer assistance to residents. Lifting and/or transferring some residents will require use of a lifting device and /or assistance of other staff.
Assists with resident/patient care needs and comforts including but not limited to:
- Assists or gives oral hygiene and mouth care.
- Assists with bathing functions and dressing/undressing as necessary.
- Assists with nail care, shaving, and hair care.
- Assists with lifting, turning, positioning and transporting residents.
- Makes both occupied and unoccupied beds ( as assigned).
- Keeps residents/patients dry ( i.e. change gown, clothing, linen, etc.)
- Assists resident/patient with bowel or bladder functions.
- Checks residents/patients frequently to assure that their personal care needs are being met.
- Answers call lights promptly.
- Measures and records vital signs.
- Weighs and measures residents/patients.
- Collects specimens ( i.e., urine, stool, sputum).
- Prepares and gives enemas.
- Provides daily indwelling catheter care.
- Performs diabetic urine testing.
- Turns bedfast residents/patients at least every two hours.
- Provides daily range of motion exercises.
- Assists with care of the dying resident.
- Maintains accurate intake and output records.
- Performs food service functions including:
- Prepares residents/patients for meals ( i.e., take to bathroom, wash hands, oral care, take to, from dining room, etc.)
- Serves food trays. Assists with feeding as indicated.
- Records the residents/patients food fluid intake.
- Serves between meal and bedtime snacks.
- Keeps resident’s/patient’s water pitchers clean and filled with fresh water on each shift.
- Performs after meal care ( i.e., clean residents/patients hands, face, clothing, brush teeth, take to bathroom, etc.).
- Notes and reports changes in resident/patient eating habits especially those on diabetic diet.
- Assists with keeping nursing and resident/patient care area neat, sanitary and orderly.
- Appropriately records charges for supplies.
- Participates in the Interdisciplinary Plan of Care ( "IPOC") process as assigned.
- Follows work assignments and schedules.
- Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and acts in accordance with Extendicare’s Corporate Compliance Program.
- Attends and participates in inservice training, performance improvement ( "PI") committees and other meetings as scheduled and directed.
- Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy.
- Works overtime, holiday and weekend hours as scheduled.
- Assists in orientation and training of employees as assigned.
- Performs physical activities including standing, lifting ( up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting.
Performs other duties as assigned and consistent with the level of preparation and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Has education or experience sufficient to meet position requirements.
- Possesses current certification as a STATE TESTED NURSING ASSISTANT.
- Able to relate positively, effectively, and appropriately with residents/patients, families, community members, volunteers and other facility staff.
- Possess special interest in, and a positive attitude about,working with long-term care residents/patients and the elderly.
- Able to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Meets all health requirements, as required by law.
Extendicare - 17 months ago