Office of Information Technology (OIT) is responsible for providing USDA Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) staff and customers with the information technology (IT) resources necessary to accomplish the FNS branch mission. The purpose of the Infrastructure Support Services program is to ensure that the supporting IT resources are effectively managed, supported, sustained and upgraded as necessary to keep pace as technology and mission requirements evolve. To that end, the primary program requirements are as follows:
1. Ensure all necessary hardware/software is available and properly integrated and maintained.
2. The infrastructure is effectively maintained and available for its intended use in meeting FNS mission requirements
3. Future technology upgrades are planned and implemented without degradation to system readiness and are planned and executed within the CCB (Change Control Board) policy
4. Customers are trained/supported in best practice system use.
5. The infrastructure is managed, operated and administered as an integrated system, avoiding sub-optimal focus exclusively on constituent elements
6. Ensure adherence to all Federal and FNS IT Security guidelines and policies in performing the contract scope of work.
This program establishes and integrates the support roles, processes, and technology to realize those goals.
The Subject Matter Expert 2 will work in the area of information technology services, primarily supporting the network operations and engineering program requirements listed above (This team focuses on servers and the services hosted on those servers). This position reports to the NOEB Lead; and receives general direction regarding routine operations and engineering responsibilities and specific direction regarding complex security issues, as defined by management. The successful candidate will:
• Leverage agency tools to manage the environment
• Analyze current infrastructure and provide recommendations for maintaining a stable environment
• Analyzes log files and reports to provide recommendations for process and technology improvements
• Communicates potential security exploits to FNS Infrastructure Branch management
• Participates in the evaluation of proposed system and application solutions to determine system or data integrity implications
• Ensures Group Policy Objects adhere to Agency approved standards
• Assists headquarters and regional staff in troubleshooting and resolving systems security issues
• Leverages system security best practices to protect the infrastructure
• Leverages approved controls to ensure compliance to approved security standards.
• Enables effective user authentication before allowing access to private networks
• Executes patch management program procedures
• Ensures approved antivirus software is properly applied to all resources connected to the managed network.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
• Understand and use essential tools for handling files, directories, command-line environments, and documentation.
• Operate running systems, including booting into different run levels, identifying/starting/stopping processes, starting and stopping virtual machines, and controlling services.
• Configure local storage using partitions and logical volumes.
• Create and configure file systems and file system attributes, such as permissions, encryption, access control lists, and network file systems.
• Deploy, configure, and maintain systems, including software installation, update, and core services.
• Manage users and groups, including use of winbind and Samba for Active Directory authentication.
• Configuration of static routes, packet filtering, and network address translation.
• RHN Satellite Server Administration or other configuration management tool (Kickstart Knowledge a Must)
• Java Application Server Administration (JBoss 4-5, Tomcat 6)
• Apache HTTPD Administration
• Knowledge of IPv6
• Building RPMs.
• Producing and delivering reports on system utilization.
• Using shell scripting to automate system maintenance tasks.
• Configuring a system to provide networking services, including HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, NFS, SMB, SMTP, SSH.
CNSI - 12 months ago