Discover. Innovative. Collaborate. Inform. A few words we use to describe a career at OCLC.
OCLC, a worldwide library services organization headquartered in Dublin, Ohio, is a leader in information technologies and innovative online services. With office locations around the globe, OCLC employees are dedicated to offering premier services and software to help libraries cut costs while keeping pace with the demands of our information-driven society.
The primary function of this job is to lead the implementation and support of relational databases in a Linux and Windows environment with a focus on data management. The candidate for this position should have a firm understanding on how RDBMS environment’s function with proficiency in MySQL.
This position will also be responsible for the creation and implementation of data management functions in the RDMBS and no-SQL environments. The administrator will work closely with infrastructure, network, database and application teams to ensure business applications and data are highly available and performing within agreed on service levels.
- Develop and maintain operational best practices for smooth operation of RDBMS systems.
- Install, manage, upgrade and backup RDBMs systems.
- Enhance monitoring and alerting for systems reliability focusing on preventive measures.
- Work with peers in development to tune infrastructure.
- Participate in on-call support rotation enabling 24X7 support for our production environments.
- When DBA's involvement is required, participate in some maintenance and install after hours activities scheduled and unscheduled.
- Create and maintain technical documentation.
- Assist management in developing strategies for using RDBMs technology in the most productive manner including security, capacity planning and optimization.
- Work with the other support teams to test and benchmark new versions, patches and software components for functionality and reliability.
- Research and implement technologies that support global databases and currency in a 24x7x365 environment.
Desired Skills/ Experience:
- Degree in a Computer Science related discipline or an equivalent academic/experience combination.
- 6 to 8 years of experience in relational database administration in a Linux environment. The majority of this experience should be with MySQL environments.
- 1 to 2 years experience in data management.
- Must have experience administering RDMBS in an environment supporting High Availability and Disaster Recovery.
- Must have experience in databases that have a 24x7x365 availability requirement in a global environment
- Deep understanding of SAN storage technologies with RDBMS systems.
- 2-4 years RDBMS tuning expertise in a high availability environment with enterprise class systems.
- Worked in an environment that was highly virtualized with VMWare.
- Worked in an environment that was deployed in a PAAS/IAAS cloud.
- Is certified in MySQL.
- Has experience with No-SQL environments