Risk and Control Validation Lead
Mar 15, 2013
Headquartered in Wilmington, Del., Barclaycard US creates customized, co-branded credit card programs for some of the country's most successful travel, entertainment, retail, affinity and financial institutions. The business employs 1,300 associates.
Barclaycard, part of Barclays Global Retail Banking division, is a leading global payment business that helps consumers, retailers and businesses to make and accept payments flexibly, and to access short-term credit when needed.
The company is one of the pioneers of new forms of payments, and is at the forefront of developing viable contactless and mobile payment options for today and cutting edge forms of payment for the future. It also issues credit and charge cards to corporate customers and the British Government. Barclaycard partners with a wide range of organizations across the globe to offer their customers or members payment options and credit.
Barclaycard operates in the United States, Europe, Africa and the Middle and Far East.
Key Accountabilities (95%)
- Manages control activities including: policies, standards and procedure frameworks including exception management, risk and control assessments, controls design and assurance and regulatory compliance, MSA completion and control validation activities.
- Collect; validate and report to senior management on relevant goals and metrics.
- Participate with program/project stakeholders across the enterprise and ensure compatibility of disparate organizational priorities.
- Communicate, and interact with management and peers to influence decision cycle with respect to effectively managing business and technology risk.
Key responsibilities include:
- Working with stakeholders to understand business processes, identifying risks and associated key controls;
- Establishes a controls assurance program for each process, using a risk based model, to determine the test approach, frequency and sample size for specific controls;
- Provides subject matter expertise and support to control analysts during the execution of testing and completes complex assurance activities;
- Schedules and manages their workload to optimal capacity; creates stretching but achievable plans to meet their commitments;
- Approaches projects and tasks in a structured manner, applying a logical thought process with a high level of attention to detail;
- Is able to communicate effectively with colleagues at all levels within the organization delivering the right message and ensuring that they escalate issues in a timely and professional manner.
- Control Assurance
- Assist control group lead with business process risk assessments. Planning, scoping and conducting internal control reviews in line with the control assurance plan including:
- Documentation of business processes, risks and controls;
- Evaluation of control design and operational effectiveness;
- Documentation of assessment including findings and recommendations, providing a clear representation of risk position for the business
- Development and Testing of key controls
- Audit Management
- Liaise with auditors/regulators and plan activities; QA, track and plan audit artifacts, escalating and addressing potential findings.
- Transparency and Demand Management
- Bring together a comprehensive view of risk and control for the Chief Operating Officer, delivering all of our Corporate and Local reporting inclusive of key risk reporting.
Control Objective (5%)
- Understand the appropriate Policies & Standards applicable to my role through reading the Code of Conduct and other training allocated to me. Where responsible for risks and controls ensure that these are appropriate and fit for purpose.
- All mandatory training completed to deadline and understood within given timescales.
- Where applicable, all key risks identified, tracked, logged and managed as per the Risk Framework procedures
- Where applicable, all key controls to have identified owners, with audit trail of regular review and maintenance together with supporting records.
- Where applicable, all risk events (incidents) or control failures to be escalated, investigated, reported and fixed at root cause to prevent reoccurrence
- Bachelor's degree in a related field of study or equivalent experience.
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills; able to communicate a range of potential solutions in straightforward terms to employees at all levels in the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to develop plans and deliver results.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in global, matrix organization, breaking down barriers and influencing a collaborative work environment.
- One of the following:
- Minimum 5-8 years of experience in managing and directing teams.
- Applicable professional or industry certifications or equivalent experience
- Specialty experience preferred Financial Services audit experience related to bank and credit cards operations:
- Understand control, regulatory and risk issues in payment services/banking environments.
- Experience in performing risk based reviews or risk and control management.
- Experience of defining and completing quantitative review techniques (data analysis)
- Competent in the evaluation of both technical and operational controls.
- Consistently apply risk and control frameworks while undertaking reviews which focus on key risks and controls.
- Identify most efficient and effective test strategies to obtain results.
- Identifies and addresses inefficiencies in systems, processes and controls, escalating as appropriate;
- Ability to determine control criticality and to make sound judgments in relation to any aspect of risk and control.
- TSYS TS2 knowledge and experience desired.
- Relevant professional certifications preferred: CPA, CISA, CRISC, CIA
BarclayCard - 8 months ago
Raising the bar for global finance, Barclays owns one of Europe's largest banks, a top market-making investment bank, the top UK credit...