EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace.
The Youth Technical Team in the International Development Division (IDD) has an opening for an International Technical Advisor (II) in Washington DC.
The International Development Division of EDC is seeking an International Technical Advisor to help lead and design business development efforts of the IDD Youth Technical Team particularly in the area of economic growth and youth. The Advisor will be a key member of the Youth Technical Team of the International Development Division at EDC and reports to the Youth Technical Team Director (‘Director’). S/He will work with the Youth Technical Team Director and other Sr. Technical Advisors to plan, strategize and pursue new business opportunities to expand the youth team’s program portfolio particularly in the area of economic growth, which includes meeting with prospective partners and other key stakeholders (e.g. donors). S/He will manage specific proposal efforts from inception through to submission as assigned by the Director.
This position is an exciting opportunity for a professional looking for interesting part-time work If you are interested in this position as a full-time role only, please apply and indicate "Full-time only" in your cover letter for consideration.
The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
The International Technical Advisor II will:
• Carry out business intelligence research to help position company; Researches and analyzes funding trends among key donors/clients
• Works closely with Regional Directors and BD Director to maintain timely data upcoming solicitations and helps with upkeep of system and corporate knowledge base
• Liaises with other international development organizations and international donors to build positive relationships
• Develops depth of understanding of IDD staff and projects, and helps facilitate proactive and responsive business development department support
• Represents the organization in various public venues (i.e. conferences, workshops) as appropriate and as called upon
• Provide technical and strategic support to the EDC’s youth programs and planning in the area of economic growth and youth or in other sectors, as appropriate.
• Liaise with subcontractors and partners;
• Develop and monitors technical deliverables, marketing and outreach products, etc.;
The International Technical Advisor (II)
• Is responsible for partnering successfully with Youth Technical Team staff and with other EDC Divisions, Business Services, expatriate and local staff
• Helps represent EDC and the project in the host country, interfacing with the ministry, or other government leaders, the funder, and others; builds positive client, vendor, and funder relations
• Demonstrates diplomacy and leadership to foster an atmosphere of teamwork, productivity, creativity, fairness, equity, and innovation, in support of EDC’s commitment to diversity
• Negotiates and mediates effectively
• Troubleshoots problems and proposes solutions
• Oversees technical coordination; secures consensus about priorities and competing workload demands
• Fosters excellent communications among all parties, including with EDC home offices
• This position may include 10-20% international travel
• Master’s degree or equivalent
• PhD preferred
•7–10 years related experience in international development, including a minimum of 5 years supervisory/project management or program development experience;
• With PhD, 5–7 years related experience (as above)
• Experience managing or providing technical support to international programs;
• Experience working with private sector foundations strongly desired;
• Understanding of youth development principles;
• Specific technical expertise in economic development and youth preferred, such as SMEs, competitiveness, economic policy, or business regulation;
• Outstanding leadership skills;
• Strong networking skills;
• Excellent analytical skills and aptitude for details;
• Capacity to work in difficult conditions and function well under pressure;
• Proficiency in English and the host country language(s);
CONTACT: No phone calls, please
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V) and has Affirmative Action Plans for Women and Minorities and for Disabled Workers and Veterans. EDC is a smoke-free workplace.