Sr System Administrator
The Senior System Administrator is a highly technical role, providing support for SeaMicro products deployed internally for all functions within the company. The Senior System Administrator will also be expected to perform duties associated with typical system administration within the SeaMicro context. This role is expected to have, at least, a baseline proficiency in linux (RedHat and CentOS variants, in particular), Windows (Server 2008 and 2012) and virtualized environments (VMWare ESX 5.0/5.1, Xen, and KVM).
• Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures for server infrastructure
• Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated, approaches for system administration tasks.
• Perform security audits against the SeaMicro system
• Develop and deploy best practices for system monitoring
• Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
• Validate and qualify OSes (Linux & Windows) on the SeaMicro platform
• Develop and maintain a virtualized testbed with Xen, KVM, ESX and Microsoft technologies
• Perform some level of benchmarking of SeaMicro systems relative to conventional servers
• Troubleshoot complicated hardware and software issues, replicate customer environments and problems in the lab.
• Participate in cross-functional tasks such as new product development projects, support readiness teams, and other documentation activities
• Provide indepth support to customer Proof-of-Concept (POC) testbeds requiring extensive server infrastructure and OS-level support
• Drive internal customer satisfaction through rapid response and resolution of technical issues
• Travel, as required on an exception basis, to customer sites for problem resolution
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in a technical major or equivalent work experience with a minimum of 7+ years of system administration experience in the high-tech industry. The ability to work with internal customers under a variety of circumstances, and while under pressure, to meet or exceed expectations.
• Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms with Marketing, Support and Development engineers, and management
• Experience working with technically-savvy constituencies in large-scale server deployments
• Working knowledge and troubleshooting capability applicable to data center technologies including: OS tuning, compute/servers operation and maintenance, and storage setup, troubleshooting and configuration.
• Experience with technologies such as load balancing, DHCP, ARP, NAT/PAT, and DNS a plus
• Experience in fault isolation logic and techniques; Extensive lab skills and experience with various lab testing tools
• Deep expertise in Linux, and other open source distributions (RedHat/CentOS preferred)
• Extensive experience and use of major virtualization technologies, such as Citrix Xen, VMWare ESX, and Linux KVM
• Extensive experience with CPU benchmarking tools, as well as familiarity with performance deltas between different CPU family types
• Familiarity with SDN concepts and some exposure to their application
• Proficiency in linux shell scripting or some level of coding in C
• RHCE/RHCT, VMWare VCP, CCNA is a major plus,
• Experience in start-ups is a plus
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services. AMD and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and will consider all applicants without regard to race, marital status, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. EOE/MFDV
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. is a global semiconductor company with facilities around the world. The Company offer x86 microprocessors, for...